This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Every year, the American Psychological Association, or APA, completes a nationwide survey about stress, and its sources, intensity, and how people are responding to it. The 2020 results of that survey are chilling.

“We are facing a national mental health crisis that could yield serious health and social consequences for years to come,” the APA website says in bolded letters.

The survey found that 78%, or 8 in 10 adults, said that the pandemic was a significant source of stress in their life. Nearly half reported their behavior was negatively impacted- they were more tense, irritable, and quick to yell. The number of Americans who reported being worried for the future of the country jumped 10% this year alone.

Among all age groups, habits changed due to stress, too. More Americans reported disrupted sleep patterns, gaining weight, and eating more unhealthy food. Long-term stress responses are incredibly unhealthy for the body in and of themselves- it can lead to digestive issues, skin and hair problems, cardiovascular disease, menstrual problems, and mental health issues.

These health problems can even manifest when you’re not conscious. There’s been a significant rise in the amount of people seeking help for jaw pain and damaged teeth- a sign of bruxism. Bruxing is when a person grinds, clenches, or gnashes their teeth involuntarily, even when they’re asleep. CNN reported that Derek Peek — leader of Eastern Iowa Endodontics and diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics found that in August and September, he had “treated twice as many cracked teeth in comparison to those respective months last year, even with fewer patients this year”.

Personally, I had to get fitted for a nightguard for the first time in my life just after election week in the The United States. I couldn’t touch my teeth, even on the outside, because of how sore they’d become. I also began suffering from episodic cranial sensory shock- or auditory hallucinations while asleep or falling asleep. I basically began to “hear” loud bangs or thumps, that no one else could hear, but would be “loud” enough to make me jump and startle me right out of sleep. I didn’t even know such a thing existed before now.

Since the 2008 financial crisis, the adverse effects on the millennial generation and their own careers and finances has been well-documented. Their stress revolving around the experience of being a young adult entering the workforce at that time is also documented. How will this affect Gen-Z? The pandemic affected far more than just finances- every aspect of people’s lives all over the world was forced to change quickly. We’ll need to make sure that we take extra care of ourselves and our fellow Gen-Z’ers in the years going forward, even when the pandemic is ‘officially’ over.

Madison Snider is a senior at the University of North Texas, studying to get a Bachelor's Degree with a double major in Digital and Print Journalism and History. She is disabled and wants to bring awareness to issues facing disabled women and students. She loves to wear colorful eyeshadow and use makeup to express herself creatively. Madison hopes to be a journalist in the news industry after graduation.
Hey! I'm a senior at UNT majoring in Integrative Studies with fields in Political Science, International Studies, and Public Administration. I am also double minoring in Communication Studies and Women and Gender Studies. I love reading, writing, hanging out with my friends, and serving my community. I hope to graduate with honors from UNT in May of 2021 and then head to law school in the fall.