After having to move out into my own dorm room early on into the year, here is my advice and this is what I wished I would have considered when picking a roommate:
- Lifestyle differences don’t make for a good roommate if you aren’t both willing to compromise.
- Clarify your expectations of a roommate beforehand.
- Understand that you don’t have to be friends, you just have to be able to live with each other.
- Communication is key and it takes everyone to do so.
- Being mindful of others is essential for peace.
- Don’t take things personally if it doesn’t work out, you are sharing tight quarters and it doesn’t mean that you are tough to deal with.