5 Tips for Moving from a Dorm to an Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

We’re all stuck in dorms during our first year – it’s part of the college experience – but afterwards, we’re given way more living options. If your family lives close enough, you may move back in with them. You may like living on campus and stay in a dorm again. If your family lives four hours away and you couldn’t stand living in a dorm like me, you’ll go with the option most college students prefer: an apartment. However, apartment hunting can be a hassle, soI picked up some helpfulthings to keep in mind during the search.

Start looking early. There will be a ton of people looking at the same apartments you are, so it is important to start looking into apartments as soon as possible so openings don’t fill up. Starting early also gives you plenty of time to find roommates, which leads me to my next point.

Have multiple roommates. This is more of a preference thing, but having roommates can make the cost of rent lower. Sure, it may be a bit difficult to find multiple people you get along with well enough to want to live with, but it’s worth itto save money. 

Consider how far you want to be from campus. If you’re not close enough to walk, your two options are driving or riding the bus, which means you’ll either be fighting other cars for a decent parking spot or rushing to be the first on the bus to get a seat. However, there can be more options further from campus, so just make sure you’re prepared to drive or find an apartment on a UNT bus route. 

Compare the amenities each apartment offers. Sometimes the amenities an apartment has can be a deal maker or breaker. Be on the lookout for whether they are furnished or not, and if electricity, cable, and internet are included in the rent. If you plan to have furry friends in the apartment, make sure the one you choose allows pets and see if they charge any extra fees. Also check out some of the bonus amenities some apartments have like a pool, a dog park, or a fitness room. 

Make sure you’re actually ready to have an apartment. Overall, the most important thing to consider when moving into an apartment is that you’re ready for it. Even if you think you’ll be fine since you’re used to living in a dorm, an apartment requires a greater level of responsibility. You’re not required to have a meal plan anymore, and since you’ll have an actual kitchen, it’s likely you’ll be cooking many of your meals. You’ll need to stay on top of paying your rent, buying groceries, and just making sure your apartment is a clean, livable environment since it’s bigger than a dorm. 

Finding an apartment can be time-consuming, and you may even find yourself doubting if you really want to make the switch to an apartment, but it is so worth it. Not only do you have more space than a dorm, you’ll feel more independent and won’t be confined to staying on campus all the time. 

Senior at UNT majoring in advertising and double minoring in English and social sciences.
Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.