This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With finals week inching closer, stress can run through the brains of students and cause sickness to form. (Stress weakens immune systems by decreasing the number of white blood cells/lymphocytes in the body.) To help maintain a healthy mind and body, I want to recommend small habits that can help strengthen one’s nervous system and mental health.

• Journal your thoughts, emotions, parts of your day, or if something stressful is on your mind to release it.
  • Check in with your body throughout the day to see how you are feeling.
  • Practice breathing exercises to stimulate your vagus nerve.
  • Hydrate!
  • Write down three (or more) things you are grateful for or good things that happened during your day.
  • Eat three meals a day with plenty of snacks in between, and cooking can be a creative/fun way to do so!
  • Have a cry session with peaceful music or instrumentals to release pent-up emotions.
  • Connect to your body with expressive dance or singing.
  • Workout (cardio, strength, sports, yoga, etc.).
  • Create a morning and/or night routine and stick to it.
  • Have a cup of tea or coffee in between classes and focus on your surroundings. Notice the sights, sounds, smells and textures around you.
  • If you struggle with relaxing and overscheduling yourself, make sure to schedule time to relax! (Relax as in more than just a nap and cultivating an environment of peace, solitude and recovery.)
  • Take a new route to class or try new foods as trying new things can be exciting but also promotes brain development/growth via new neural connections.
  • Write down “I am” affirmations you think of throughout the day, then at night work read the positive ones aloud and focus on reframing the negative ones or journaling on how to improve yourself from said negative ones.
  • Adding on to the affirmations, write down affirmations on your mirror or on sticky notes on your wall so you can remind yourself of your positive traits.
  • Go on nature walks to get sunlight, connect to nature and work in some light cardio.
Keri studies psychology and writing at UNH. She is a published poet of four collections available online, and she also runs Meadow Mouse Zine. Besides poetry, she is invested in self-development, healing the inner child and thrifting. You can find Keri at @keri.27 on Instagram.