jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

So many of us have the conception that we can’t do art, which is simply not true and, in my opinion, a limiting belief. The problem is that as we get older, we put so many expectations on ourselves. There are so many facets of art and one thing I love about art journaling is that you can do so much with it. You could fill an entire art journal without drawing in it at all (although I highly encourage you to draw – even if you think you can’t).                                                               

Whether you are confident in your artistic skills or think you can’t draw, you are capable of starting an art journal and may be surprised by the man benefits. Here’s how to get started:

Pick a simple journal

My favorite is the Moleskine sketchbook in size Large. It is 5 x 8.25 inches which I find to be the perfect size. Sometimes if you choose a sketchbook that is too big it can be overwhelming to start on a page. This journal is $22.95 and is great quality, but if you aren’t so sure about art journaling and just want to try out, you can get this one at Michaels for $6.99. I personally don’t love the paper as much, but it will be fine if you aren’t super picky!

Pick up some basic supplies

The supplies you get really depends on what you love to do. I enjoy watercolor, acrylic, line drawings, and mixed media, so I have a pretty varied selection of supplies that I have accumulated over many years. Don’t feel like you have to go out and spend a ton of money, just pick up some basics so you can start somewhere. No matter what, you need a black pen that you enjoy using. The Micron fine line pens are my absolute favorite, and you really can’t go wrong with them. You can use them for drawing or writing and they come in a variety of thicknesses.

I like to mix in some watercolors and acrylics. I actually prefer the cheaper craft acrylic paints for art journaling because they are slightly thinner and more manageable for a sketchbook. You can get a variety pack of paintbrushes very inexpensively at Michaels that will work for both types of paint.

Before you buy anything, ask your family and friends if they have supplies they don’t use! Chances are they have some things lying around. It will save you money and it’s better for the environment to buy less. If you go to Michaels, make sure you look up a coupon and pull it up on your phone – most days they have 40% off one item coupons! I’m linking all my favorites below, but you definitely don’t need everything!

Pens

1 – Micron Pen

2 – Prismacolor

3 – Signo White Pen

4 – Gelly Roll

For Color

5 – crayola markers

6 – Staedtler Fineliner

7 – Papermate flair

8 – Prismacolor Pencils

Pencils

9 – Dixon Ticonderoga

10 – Zebra mechanical pencil

Paints

11 – Artist’s Loft Watercolor

12 – Craft Smart Acrylic

Other supplies

13 – glue sticks

14 – mod podge

Look for inspiration everywhere you go

Keep little things that you find inspirational. I hold on to teabags that I think are aesthetically pleasing or little quotes that I resonate with. I have peeled the labels off of kombucha bottles if I like the design or cut out an image from an adult coloring book. I keep a jar on my desk that I put all these items in and if I need inspiration for a page I’ll pull something out of the jar and add it to a page. It adds dimension to your art journal to use different textures and designs.

“Good artists copy, great artists steal.” -Picasso

I’m not just throwing around quotes to fill space here! If you have no idea where to start, there is no shame in looking on Pinterest. Find an image or a spread that you like and try copying it. Art teachers often have students learn by recreating classics; it isn’t plagiarism as long as you aren’t claiming it as your own idea! Once you get more comfortable you can take small elements you like from pieces of art and incorporate it into your own ideas. 

Use your art journal regularly

Grab a cup of tea and sit down with your art journal when you feel excited, stressed, emotional, sad, confused or frustrated.

I think most of us struggle with finding effective coping mechanisms for our stress. Let’s be honest: we all know the benefits of meditating but it’s hard to force ourselves to take the time to do it daily. Art journaling is a fun stress reliever for me because I find the act of focusing deeply on something creative relaxing for my mind. I view it as part of my self- care.

It can be a healthy way to channel energy and be a different way to express emotions. Combine visuals with words if you feel like you need to get a whirlwind of thoughts out of your head. It can be relieving to put feelings onto paper and can help you make better sense of your thought processes. You can incorporate it into your nightly routine if you have trouble falling asleep as a way to silent the mind to get ready for sleep.

Date every single page

An art journal is a time capsule to your life. Someday when you look back into these books it will be so valuable to know when each page was created because it is a glimpse into your mind at that moment in time.

Let go of expectations and embrace the artistic process

Your art journal does not need to be shown to anyone. It can be hard to start a page if you fear that it won’t turn out how you want it to or if you feel like you aren’t good enough at art. It comforts me to know that I can rip out pages or paint over them if I didn’t like the way they turn out. I used to be very hesitant about starting a page if I didn’t have it planned out, but this really takes the relaxation and enjoyment out of the process. Let your ideas flow and release your expectations. If you end up hating it, rip it out! Even if you don’t like the end product, appreciate the process of creating the art. 

UNH 2021
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!