Wellness > Mental Health

How Guided Meditation is Helping Me Through My Last Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Whoever said senior year is a breeze….. I wish I was you. This year, especially this semester, my last semester at college, is really pushing my limits. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’m a Libra and don’t know how to say “no” to things (shoutout to my Libra queens) or… well that is probably it. Nonetheless, I am overwhelmed to say the least. 

Guided meditation, even though it may have been forced on me as a class project, has proved to be a lifesaver. It all started as a self-test to see whether or not I could sit peacefully still for 5, 10, 15 minutes (disclosure: I still can’t, but that’s not the point). As I tried different platforms, whether that be the Calm App, or YouTube videos, I found myself loving a certain type of guided meditation I had never thought of before – meditation through self-affirmation. I realized it was, and still is, exactly what I needed. 

Using self-affirmations like “I am strong” and “I am worthy” work wonders when repeated to yourself with the calmness of waves crashing in the background. It made me realize that I didn’t need to calm my ever-racing brain, I just needed to take some time to myself, breathe, and remind myself that I am okay and I am doing an amazing job, even if I am struggling sometimes. 

If you are like me, overworked and searching for an escape, I have a YouTube recommendation for you: 

Boho Beautiful Yoga is the queen of all things yoga, meditation, pilates, and even a vegan lifestyle if that’s what you’re looking for! Her videos are a variety of lengths, ranging from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, to fit your schedule. I highly recommend checking her videos out :) 

Hope this helps! HCXO 

Hi :) My name is Sara and I am a senior Communication major, Business Administration and Anthropology dual minor at the University of New Hampshire!