ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to De-stress and Relax During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The holidays are always a hectic time of year. From traveling around visiting family, to making sure that everyone on your list has the perfect gift. I know the holidays are always crazy for my family, which is why I wanted to share some of my tips on how to manage the holidays and de-stress during this time of the year

Get Your Shopping Done Early

Something I would highly recommend for avoiding additional stress during the holidays would be getting your shopping done sooner rather than later. Nobody wants to be rushing to buy gifts at the last minute, so save yourself the stress and get it out of the way as soon as you can.

Focus On Your Health

During the holidays there are so many treats to indulge in. From cookies, to hot chocolate, and everything else sweet. I understand that it’s a time to celebrate, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t find a healthy balance. It’s perfectly okay to treat yourself and enjoy some of the baked goods, I mean it is the holidays. I know for me, I enjoy working out and eating healthy, but that doesn’t mean that I am not going to have a few holiday treats myself. Don’t forget to also focus on your mental and emotional health, because those are equally important. Because the holidays are super busy, make sure you are still giving yourself time to relax. Whether it’s watching a Christmas movie, going to the gym, or simply taking a bubble bath, make sure you still find time to do things that make you happy. 

Make Some Memories

One of my favorite things about the holidays is all the memories I have, and continue to make. I think it’s important to live in the moment and enjoy yourself during this time a year, so when you reflect back you have positive memories that make the holidays special. Making memories motivates me to have fun during the holidays, and helps me look forward to them. I love that I have so many great memories from Christmas and this time of year, considering that they can sometimes be difficult. One of my favorite memories I have from the holidays would be baking cookies with my mom and siblings when we were younger. I think having the good memories to look back on help me feel less stressed about the holidays, and more excited for them, which is why I think it’s important to make them. 

I hope you found this helpful and can use some of these tips for yourself.

Happy Holidays!

Hi I'm Sophia Badala! I am a senior here at UNH studying Business Administration with a focus in Marketing. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus and I love being a part of this team!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!