Healthy Snacks to Keep in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

One of the biggest exaggerations I heard before going to college was to beware of the “Freshman 15”. I get it, the first year of college is a big transition, but that doesn’t mean you need to let yourself go. Sure, late nights of studying while eating your favorite junk food aren’t so uncommon, but that doesn’t mean it has to be an everyday occurrence. Your eating habits will change during the first year college, but there are so many different ways to eat healthy. It’s all about balance, which is why making good snacking choices is crucial. Rather than grabbing a bag of chips, there are so many healthy alternatives you can keep right in your dorm. Here are some of my favorite healthy snacks to keep on hand.

Clementines

My most recent snacking addiction has been clementines. They are the great snack for your dorm room and super easy to store. They are perfect for on the go, especially when you have class but have yet to eat. Clementines are full of vitamin c and low in calories, making them the perfect go to snack with nutritional value.

Apples and Almond Butter

Another one of my favorite snacks to keep on hand is apples and almond butter (or peanut butter). It’s a fairly inexpensive option for college students, considering you can always grab an apple from the dining hall. Most students have refrigerators in their dorms, making it also an easy snack to store. Considering you are getting carbohydrates, a little bit of protein, and some healthy fat, it’s the perfect balance.    

Protein Bars

I love to keep protein bars in my room. They are especially great after a nice workout at the gym. They also work in a pinch for those days where you just can’t make it to the dining hall before class, but need something to eat. Just grab one before you head out the door and eat it on the way to class. Depending on the brand, these can also be relatively inexpensive and are super easy to store.

Carrots and Hummus

Carrots and hummus are also a good snack, especially when you need a little crunch. They make eating your vegetables actually enjoyable, and are also another nutritious option. Low in calories and nutrient dense, carrots and hummus are great to keep in your room. As long as you have a mini fridge you’re golden!

Granola

Granola, it’s the best for when you’re craving something sweet. Granola can be a great topping for yogurt and smoothies, or it can be eaten by itself. It’s perfect for curbing your sweet tooth, while still having nutritional benefits.

Hi I'm Sophia Badala! I am a senior here at UNH studying Business Administration with a focus in Marketing. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus and I love being a part of this team!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!