rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Best Ways to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Growing up in New England, I’ve grown to love and cherish the snowy winters Mother Nature brings every year. The occasional snow day and hot cocoa by the fire are some of my favorite things during this cold season. While all of this is nice, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut and not feel great; after all, seasonal depression is a thing! These are some of my favorite ways to stay happy and positive even when it’s cold outside.

Listen to Some Music!!!

One of my favorite things to do is listen to music, no matter my mood. Spotify (THE BEST) has soooo many amazing pre-made playlists to choose from, it’s practically never-ending. I also love creating different playlists for different moods and different occasions. Try making one with all of your favorite songs and just get up and dance! It will get your endorphins flowing and will surely brighten up your mood.

Play in the Snow :)

You are never too young to go play in the snow! Grab your friends and an old pizza box (actually works pretty well) and go sledding!! Release your inner child and have fun making snow angels and catching snowflakes on your tongue. It never gets old!

Spa Night!

Grab your favorite nail polish and a facemask and have a relaxing night in. Do it by yourself or with friends, it’s up to you! Wear your fav PJ’s and cuddle up in bed and put on a nice movie or your favorite TV show. It’s always good to practice self-care in the winter as it’s easy to get caught up in the stress we call school.

Take Care of Your Health

This one is HUGEEEE. You can’t feel if you don’t treat your body right. Your mental and physical health is more important than cramming for a homework assignment that’s worth 2/200 points of your final grade. I’m not telling you to never do your homework because that’s not good, but don’t stress over the little things. It’s just not worth it. Also, try to get in your daily dose of fruits and veggies and limit other foods such as excess sugars and carbs. I know those tater tots are addicting AF but healthy eating will help you have a healthy mind. Also, GET YOUR BEAUTY REST!!!! I cannot stress this enough! You need at least 7-8 hours of sleep to function properly. Pulling an all-nighter the night before a big test will one, not help you on the test very well and two, not help your stress level whatsoever.

I hope everyone is having a great second semester so far!!

XOXO,

Sofie

If you ever feel like you need to talk to someone, don’t hesitate to contact PACS (603) 862-2090) here at UNH.

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!