bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Practice Self-Care in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
For most of us, college will be remembered as some of the best years of our life –but also the most stressful. There will never be another time in our lives when we are presented with as many opportunities and commitments as we are throughout our college careers. Trying to juggle schoolwork, jobs, internships, extra-circulars, and having a social life can take a serious toll on your mental and physical well-being. With all of these obligations it can be hard to prioritize time to take care of yourself -but if you want to get the most of your college experience, self-care is key to making sure you don’t burn yourself out. Feeling stressed AF? Check out these 10 self-care tips:

1. KEEP YOUR LIVING SPACE CLEAN AND ORGANIZED:

As simple as it sounds, keeping your living/work space neat and organized will do wonders. Messes are distracting and can create stress which keeps you from reaching your full potential. Cleaning your living space will make you feel accomplished and driven to achieve more. Not sold yet? If you don’t have to dig through your laundry pile for twenty minutes to find your jeans you can get some extra beauty sleep.

2. DRINK YOUR WATER:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Making sure you’re getting enough H2O is vital to physical health. Staying hydrated helps maintain cardiovascular health, aids circulation, keeps your complexion clear, and fights exhaustion. It is recommended that the average woman drinks eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day for optimal health, so drink up!

3. KEEP IN REGULAR CONTACT WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS FROM HOME:                                                                                                                                                                           

Living with your besties at college can feel like a non-stop party, but don’t forget to call home from time to time. Calling your mom while you walk to class or Facetiming your high school best friend before bed will keep you grounded, remind you of your roots, and give you a little slice of home.

4. CATCH YOUR ZZZ’S:

Getting enough sleep is key to making sure your body is able to run all day long from class to class. Sleep reduces stress, risk of illness, and improves concentration.  It is recommended that an adult woman get 7-9 hours of sleep per night. 

5. CATCH A YOGA CLASS:

Getting moving has major benefits for both mind and body. Physical activity is proven to reduce stress, sharpen memory, and boost self-confidence. Exercise Improves sleep quality, boosts daytime energy levels, and releases endorphins- the chemical in your brain that makes you happy.

Check out the fall 2018 group exercise schedule for fun ways to get moving:

https://campusrec.unh.edu/group-exercise

6. HAVE A NETFLIX MOVIE MARATHON:

Balance is the key to self-care. It is equally important to hit the gym some days as it is to lay in bed and watch Netflix on others. Looking for a new binge? American Horror Story: Cult hits Netflix September 18th, so grab your popcorn and cozy up.

7. TAKE A DIGITAL DETOX:

We’ve all been there, you’re scrolling through your Instagram and suddenly you’re full of dread. If you can’t contain your FOMO or stop comparing yourself to photo shopped images, it might be time to take a social media cleanse. Powering down your phone for a couple of hours or even days might help reduce anxiety and improve quality of sleep.

8. RETAIL THERAPY:

Indulge yourself in that new top! While the “treat yo self” mentality can lead to financial strain, you should pamper yourself from time to time.

9. GIRL’S NIGHT IN:

Grab your besties and your favorite facemask and get comfy. Having a girl’s night and bonding over your favorite chick-flicks is the perfect way to de-stress and indulge after a busy week.

10. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH GOOD PEOPLE:

College is all about making memories that you will carry with you for the rest of your life. Surround yourself with a great group of friends to carry you through the ups and the downs.

If you or someone you know are struggling with mental health concerns contact Psychological and Counseling Services (PACS) to speak with a counselor (603)-862-2090 or located on the 3rd floor of Smith Hall

UNH 2020
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!