9 Quotes to Get You Through Hard Times

It would be an understatement to say that this is a tough time for many of us. With college classes moved online, jobs lost, and a pandemic hovering over us, these past several weeks have not been easy. If you find yourself having an especially hard time this week, or at any point of your life, take a look at nine quotes that can add a little light to your life.

1. 1. “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”—Theodore Roosevelt

a woman sits at a wooden desk writing in a notebook. there is an imac in front of her.

You may not be exactly where you want to be right now, and that's okay. Everyone has their individual experiences, personalities, and therefore react to stressful situations differently. Focus on what you can do, and do it with pride.

2. 2. “No matter what happens in life, be good to people.”—Taylor Swift

The Lalatwo Friends Looking At City Skyline

Everyone is struggling during this time, even if their struggle may look different than yours. Don't underestimate the power of kindness. Showing a little love to someone, even if it's just a compliment or sending a "good morning" text, goes a long way.

3. 3. "What we have once enjoyed we can never lose.”—Helen Keller

people clinking mimosas

I've been thinking about all the moments in life that I treasure and miss dearly. Remember the times you enjoyed in life—whether it was spending time with friends, participating in a school club, or even going to classes. Never let go.

4. 4. “Wherever you are, be all there.”—Jim Elliot

girl lounging relax 3

This pandemic reminds us of how uncertain life truly is; all we have is now. You don’t have to love every moment you’re in, but try to be in every moment. mindfulness is not thinking about what will or could happen, but simply being while everything is happening. It adds a calm to the chaos.

5. 5. "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”—A.A Milne

A girl looking at herself in the mirror smiling

You are amazing. Never forget this.

6. 6. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”—Winston Churchill

Kayla Bacon-Sneakers And Stretching

We are struggling, but we keep pushing through, and we'll make it because of that persistence. 

7. 7. “Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand.”—Hayley Williams

Thinking In The Field

Our falls haven't broken us apart. We're still here; that is an accomplishment on its own. And knowing that you can survive any setbacks thrown your way shows you how powerful you truly are.

8. 8. “Not all those who wander are lost.”—J.R.R. Tolkien

girl mountains sand summer adventure roadtrip braid backpack creek

We may feel like we’re wandering right now, and that's okay! Uncertainty is one of the few guarantees we have in life. Try to embrace it as much as you can.

9. 9. "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”—Robert Frost

person standing on field facing a sunset

It may seem impossible, but it’s true and worth repeating: life will go on. History shows us how much we’ve already been through; whatever the future holds, we'll make it.

Stay strong, friends.