This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

We’ve all seen by now the trend that is sweeping the Internet from beauty bloggers to Youtube stars: coconut oil. But what exactly does this magical slippery, melty, delicious oil do? The uses for coconut oil could be listed forever, but let’s stick to the most important fifteen.

1. Moisturizer. This includes your body as well as face, and for some people can actually really help out with acne and hyperpigmentation.

2. Eyelash serum. Coat your eyelashes with a thin layer of coconut oil before bed and wake up to longer, softer lashes!

3. Lip balm. Unlike some lip balms, coconut oil is all natural and doesn’t contain any irritating or drying ingredients. Plus, your lips will taste and smell delectable.

4. Shaving cream.

5. Lubricant. Coconut oil is safe for even the most delicate parts of your body, but make sure never to mix it with latex! Oils break down latex and can cause holes or rips.

6. Hair mask. Slather your hair with coconut oil and leave it in for as long as you can, and then just wash your hair normally. Hello, soft locks. This can also really help with dandruff.

7. Cuticle cream.

8. Makeup remover. Especially useful for waterproof mascara and eyeliner.

9. Eye cream.

10. Eczema and other skin conditions. Coconut oil is not only gentle and moisturizing, but it has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help with all kinds of skin conditions, including insect bites and cuts!

11. Cure sickness. Use it when you are getting sick. Melt a tablespoon into your favorite hot tea to soothe a sore throat, or take a spoonful on its own to help boost your immune system.

12. Cooking oil. Try replacing olive oil or vegetable oil with coconut oil for a lighter, healthier option.

13. Massage oil.

14. Night cream. Rubbing in a thin layer of coconut oil on your face before bed can really help to fight your winter dry skin.

15. Body scrub. Mix salt or sugar with coconut oil to create a tropical smelling body or hand scrub!

NOTE: Cold-pressed/organic/virgin coconut oil is the best quality and will give you the best results!

Photo Credit

Maddie is a senior at UNCW majoring in English Literature with a Professional Writing Certificate and minoring in Women's Gender Studies.