This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Hey you, yes you. I know life has been extremely hard, especially lately. We are still in a pandemic, everything is online, you can’t see friends or family and you might be having a hard time paying the bills. Your mental health is down the drain because it’s hard to deal with so many things at once. It seems as if there are more bad days than good. You may feel like this mess is never coming to an end. And yeah, it does feel that way sometimes, but I’m here to tell you one thing: you are so wonderful.

Now, I’m not going to sit here and sugar coat things. The whole situation everyone is in right now sucks. You might even have additional stressors in your life that’re contributing to the pain. But you are more than your bad days. And you are more than your good days. You are so much more than what you think you are and the environment you are in because the world won’t always be this way. 

I’m not here to give you toxic positivity, either. There’s nothing more annoying than when you are struggling and someone tells you to “think positive” and to “just smile.” Because, really y’all, what’s that going to do? That totally overlooks what you are going through. But what I am going to do is tell you how wonderful I think you are and how I truly believe you can get through anything that life throws at you. 

You, my friend, are a warrior. Learning to fight with grace in everything you battle, you show the world that you are not afraid to back down. You are an innovator. Giving all your fresh ideas, you display that beautiful brain of yours and how you think. You are a giver. No matter what, you are so helpful toward the ones you love and even the ones you don’t know that well. You are ambitious. Everything you want, you work hard for and you never give up. 

But most importantly, you are you. There’s no one out there who is the same. You have your own personality, more strengths than the ones I mentioned and weaknesses that help determine how you can progress. When you encounter a difficult situation, I know it is easy to feel like giving up. Heck, you might have to for a little bit to recharge, and that’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with taking a break. I know you are capable of bouncing back and being better than ever. 

I hope you read this and start to believe in yourself more every day. How you feel about yourself is incredibly important and can change your outlook on life. I know there are things that stress us out, but do you think you are strong enough to get through them? Because I know you are and you should too. No matter what your situation is, you can always learn and grow from the negatives. You can always try to be the best version of yourself. In case no one has told you, you are so wonderful and you are worthy. 

Maddie Houx is a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City majoring in psychology and minoring in criminal justice. She is a second-year Her Campus member and is also a mentor on campus for students with disabilities. She is passionate about food, advocacy, and her favorite sports teams.