Wellness > Mental Health

Why Everyone Should Incorporate Meditation Into Their Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Over the past several years, there has been an increase in social media posts regarding meditation. Many of the wellness gurus I follow have spoken of its benefits, but I will admit, for a long time I was quite skeptical.  As mentioned in my other articles, I am someone who struggles with anxiety. When I initially was looking for ways to curb my symptoms with lifestyle changes, much of what I found was centered around meditation. Meditation was something I often just skimmed past in the beginning: after all, my medical school brain made me wonder how sitting in silence could be any more beneficial than an SSRI. However, after continually seeing meditation come up on my timeline again and again … and again, I finally decided to give it a try. While the Abby from two years ago would scoff, the Abby now is a strong advocate for meditation.  So, I wanted to share the benefits I have found for anyone who is considering incorporating meditation into their lives. 

Meditation can activate the parasympathetic nervous system which leads to feelings of relaxation.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the autonomic nervous system, there are two components: the parasympathetic nervous system and the sympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system is also known as the “fight-or-flight” system, and it is activated when we are experiencing stress. On the other hand, the parasympathetic system is also known as the “rest-and-digest” system, and it is activated when we are in a state of relaxation. Meditation has been shown to activate the parasympathetic nervous system and exert many physiologic effects, such as reducing inflammatory cytokines that are released in response to stress, slowing heart rate, and reducing blood pressure. It also has been shown to lower cortisol levels, which is one of the long-term stress hormones that can lead to feelings of anxiety. Suppose you are someone who struggles with stress (and maybe a bit skeptical like me). In that case, there are observable physiologic changes that your body undergoes during meditation, making it a science-backed way to reduce stress levels. 

Meditation can increase self-awareness and boost a positive outlook. 

One of the key aspects of meditation, and more specifically mindfulness meditation, is simply allowing your thoughts to ebb and flow without passing any judgment over them. I am someone who tends to be judgmental of my thoughts, especially if I deem them as distractions. Mindfulness meditation has allowed me to have time to take a step back from my responsibilities, sit with my thoughts and let them stay as long as they want without passing judgment. Sometimes, all I need to do to slow down my mind is let these thoughts come to the surface, and then pass through without my judgment. It can be easy to get caught up in negativity and feel guilty about that negativity. However, through meditation, these feelings do not need to become bottled up. By allowing your feelings to exist, you can observe patterns in your thinking and consider what may be causing you negative emotions (this reflection should be done after your meditation session). Although it might seem counterintuitive, the practice of allowing your negative thoughts to pass without judgment has also been shown to improve a positive outlook in the long-run. I would argue that most people want to feel happy in life, and something as simple as incorporating daily meditation is a very doable step in achieving this goal. 

If you are spiritual, meditation can be a way to connect with the universe, your higher self etc. 

For those of you who do not know, meditation is thought to have originated in some of the world’s oldest religions, such as Hinduism. One of my friends who practices Hinduism informed me that the characteristic “om” sound that is portrayed in media representations of meditation is thought to be the sound of the universe. The thought is that everything, including human beings, is made up of energy, and practices such as meditation allow us to better align our energy with that of the universe. Additionally, this belief system centers around the idea that while all things are connected to the universe, the universe is also found in every piece of matter. Thus, meditation allows us to connect deeper with the universe around us, including nature, animals, other human beings and more. Not only does meditation lead to deeper spiritual fulfillment, but also many guided meditations focus on how to bring success, abundance, relationships and fulfillment to the listener. Meditation is a practice that allows us to put out positive energy, and in turn, attract positive energy into our lives (also known as the Law of Attraction). 

Whether you are looking solely for physiologic benefits and a way to reduce stress or you are looking for a way to grow in your spirituality, meditation can be beneficial in nearly every instance. It allows us time to check in with ourselves and take a break from this increasingly busy world. As I have mentioned in many of my other articles, self-care is important, and one of the self-care practices I have been finding the most beneficial in my life lately is meditation. 

Hi everyone! My name is Abby, and I am currently a fifth year in UMKC's six year B.A./M.D. program. My hobbies include triathlons, exploring coffee shops in the Kansas City area, and playing the piano. I also enjoy a good book, and my favorite author is Sarah J. Maas.