This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I’m sure we were all told throughout our lives that it’s so, so, so important that we drink water. It’s more than just staying hydrated. Water makes up over 60% of our bodies and has beneficial effects for our skin, our organs, our weight and even our breath! Still not convinced? Well, here are five reasons why water should be, if it isn’t already, a huge part of your lifestyle.

Water gives you energy and increases brain power

I can’t be the only one that turns to a cup of coffee when I’m in need of a quick energy boost, but next time, consider a glass of water instead! Our brains are made up of 73% water, so staying hydrated can increase your ability to focus and think. Being even slightly dehydrated can decrease your ability to memorize things and makes your studying even harder and more time consuming.

Water aids your metabolism

You can boost your metabolism by simply drinking some water! Water is able to improve your metabolism. Our body sometimes confuses thirst and hunger. Have a glass of water, wait 30 minutes and if you’re still hungry, then you know it’s time for a snack. Also, having a glass of water right before a meal can boost your metabolism and makes digestion easier for your body.

Water keeps your skin looking young

Your skin is an organ and requires lots of hydration. Drinking water will help keep your skin from developing wrinkles and keep it soft. If you don’t get enough water, your skin may start looking dry, tight and flaky.

Water boosts your immune system

Being dehydrated is one of the most common causes of a headache because it causes our brains to shrink a little, which pulls our brain away from our skull and leads to painful headaches. Water is also good at preventing muscle cramps and sprains since it acts as a natural lubricant for our muscles and joints. It can also increase flexibility and helps prevent us from getting sore after going hard at the gym. Studies have also shown that drinking enough water lessens the risk of developing coronary heart disease.

Water can help cure bad breath

The foods that we eat can affect our breath, usually for the worst, but so can dehydration. Bad breath is usually a dead giveaway of dehydration. Drinking plenty of water can help by washing away any leftover food particles and bacteria in your mouth that also contribute to bad breath. Don’t get too excited though, water isn’t going to completely fix bad breath. If you’re planning on having that garlic pasta on your date, chugging a gallon of water isn’t going to save you; be prepared and pack that piece of gum.

Most doctors recommend drinking eight glasses of water a day, but who actually wants to keep track? I have religiously used the app ‘Plant Nanny’ to track my daily water intake and water my virtual plants daily. It’s a cute and fun way to make sure that I’m taking care of my body! It’s the easiest way to up your self-care routine!

Maya is a 5th Year Medical Student at UMKC. Even though she is working towards a very STEM orientated major, Maya enjoys using writing as a creative outlet. When Maya isn't studying, she enjoys writing (duh), soccer, music, and shopping.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.