This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I probably thank the universe around five times a day. I am so grateful that I have the time and energy to sit down and write this article. See? Practicing gratitude in even the smallest portions can make a worldly difference in your mental health. When we stop to think about the list of things, people and feelings that we’re grateful for, it becomes more difficult for our brains to deny us that positivity. Here’s how I’ve learned to seek out those moments more often. 

Disclaimer: Any time that I mention the term “Universe,” feel free to replace it with whichever higher power you trust in, if you wish!

Gratitude journaling is an activity that can be done in less than five minutes. Simply write out a list of things you’re grateful for. If you don’t know what to write down first, start by thanking yourself for making time to sit down with your journal and your gratitude today. Some consistent stars on my list are my dog, my partner and the sun. When you begin forming your own list, try to imagine each of the things on it, and sit with the emotions that arise from the images in your head. I like to practice gratitude journaling on days when I need an extra reminder of the positives in my life.

I get a lot of my mindfulness and yoga inspiration from Jessica Richburg, a certified yoga instructor and wellness writer. One of the biggest tips that I took from her was that we do not always need to vocalize our gratitude in order for it to count. To remain present sometimes, I find myself simply thinking in my head, “I am so grateful for this moment, for this friend, for this memory, etc.” I don’t know about you, but the convenience of this one is everything. No need for a piece of paper, or a pen. If you have the energy to form a thought, then you have the energy to practice gratitude this way! Throughout my day, I like to stop and scan the environment around me and thank the universe for whatever it is that I appreciate at the moment. 

My last tip for you all is to utilize your smartphone. One of my favorite ways to practice gratitude is to use the Google Keep app, where I create digital vision boards. This app allows you to create posters of images, drawings and text, giving off an iPhone scrapbook vibe. I love making boards for each month that my partner and I are together, so that we can visually look back at the time we’ve spent together. I highly recommend Google Keep for all of my visual pals!

Practicing daily gratitude has changed my mental state immensely. Things that I would go through the motions of now excite me because I can always find something to be grateful for in any given moment. Give one of these tips a try, and see for yourself the wonders that gratitude can do.

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.