This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

For many college students, the beginning of a new semester symbolizes the start of a whole new chapter—for some, it may be moving into a new place, starting a new internship, applying to grad schools, or finding a place that they fit into. Regardless of what your current chapter may look like, change in itself can be terrifying. But why does the uncertainty that comes with these changes have to be a negative thing? If you change your perspective, uncertainty can represent growth, adventure and excitement.

While there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be in control, you have to accept the fact that you’re never going to have all of the answers. Sometimes, you’ll find yourself asking questions like, “What’s next for me?” or  “Can I handle this difficult, confusing season of my life?” The secret to overcoming these obstacles and not letting fear paralyze you is to strengthen your perseverance. When you fear uncertainty, you are actually doubting your capacity to cope with the unexpected. This can be detrimental to your growth since opportunity usually seeds itself within uncomfortable circumstances. 

What I’ve come to learn through various experiences was that going through seasons of uncertainty was what ultimately helped me learn just how much potential my own future held. Us humans tend to seek comfort in a meticulously planned future, but what we don’t realize is that this approach often limits us to the boundaries that we create in our heads.

I remember someone telling me a quote once that said, “When I was a kid, I used to think that 20-year-olds had it together. Then, when I turned 20, I thought that 40-year-olds had it together. Then, I turned 40 and realized that we’re all just winging it in life.”

The truth is, there will always be problems in your life and scars in your heart that will find a way to convince you that you are hopeless or have lost your sense of direction. However, there’s always a way for you to overcome every obstacle and challenge that you deal with on a daily basis. Sure, your path may be longer and more complicated than the path that some of your peers choose to take, but what matters is that you eventually reach the finish line. Don’t be so hard on yourself when you make several mistakes along the way, that’s inevitable. But always remember that life is not a competition and quitting is never a solution. 

You have an infinite number of chances in this realm of uncertainties to be confident and at peace with where you’re headed—let your heart guide you like a lantern in the dark.

Kaliye is currently a Pre-Pharmacy student at the University of Missouri in Kansas City. She's kind, loves hugs, and can vibe with just about anything. During the small percentage of the time that she's not crying over school, she loves to hang out with her friends, attend concerts, and watch David Dobrik's vlogs on Youtube.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.