This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Lately, I’ve found myself thinking and reflecting on myself and my everyday life. Through these reflections, I’ve caught myself constantly dragging on this same thought: “Who am I?” This is especially under the context of who am I outside of school and work. Maybe this is just pandemic talk and part of the ongoing journey of getting adjusted to the changes that were brought on. Regardless, it has elicited feelings of being lost or simply thinking about what is next to come. This feeling seems to be most prominent among college students as we are constantly working towards building connections or resumés that will take your career journey to the next level. So whenever we come to an abrupt stop with no idea of what is next, it’s scary and frustrating. So what can you do to get out of this cycle?

Self-Reflect.

Maybe it’s the atmosphere you are in that is making you feel this way. Are you going through FOMO? Are you just doing too much that you have no time for yourself? Do you secretly hate your job or major? These may seem like simple questions but their answers will give you a better insight into why you’re feeling the way you feel. It’s normal to occasionally feel lost with no clear direction, but it’s important to step back and take a look at the different sections of your life to get a better understanding of yourself.

Let your mind wander.

As someone who is an overthinker, I often get lost in my own thoughts, whether they’re good or bad. I hate overthinking, but it does have its perk as it allows you to analyze a situation. When it comes to the specific thought of identity outside of work or school, I’ve come to realize that because so much time is spent on these activities, my mind doesn’t get a chance to breathe and focus on other things. So whenever I have time to let my mind wander, it feels odd to think about anything else which then causes me to start thinking about what I do outside of school and work. 

Journal.

After thinking, write it down. Sometimes, interpreting our own thoughts can be tricky, so explaining them to someone else may be nearly impossible. Something I’ve found that helps ground me and make me realize that these are just thoughts that don’t necessarily represent reality is journaling. This activity can help you release all those racing thoughts you have, get a clear picture of what you’re actually feeling and come up with a plan of action.

Getting a hobby.

It’s not that you don’t have an identity outside of work or school; you just don’t invest enough time in it. If you like a sport, why not try pick-up games or learning a new skill? Learning what you like or don’t like will help you discover more things about yourself, get you new experiences, build your confidence and simply meet new people. How are you to know what you are capable of outside the continuous work and school routine if you don’t even give anything a try?

Talk to a professional.

These thoughts can be symptoms of something greater. It can be anxiety, a response to a recent life event and even stress. Going to therapy may help put a name to these thoughts you are having and can help find healthy habits to cope with these thinking patterns.

Just remember to take a deep breath and know that these feelings are normal and part of the normal human experience. There is so much life left to live, so don’t create these expectations that you should have your life planned and know exactly where it is you are going. Life will come by fast so don’t focus so much on the future and be here in the now. What is meant for you will come. 

Currently a senior at UMKC studying Communications/Journalism & Political Science with minors in International Studies and Criminal Justice, Daisy looks forward to working in urban policy and nonprofits to help her local community. She enjoys learning new languages, visiting local shops and restaurants, and having picnics with her friends.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.