Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Look into how Depression has an Impact on Your Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

There are many different key factors and elements to having depression. This particular mental illness is inherited from a long line of family genetics. In addition, depression can also be adapted through environmental factors, including but not limited to, trauma, stress or the loss of a loved one. These factors leave an emotional toll that affects the brain’s ability to function as if it were any other day. Every case is different; however, the general side effects of depression range from feeling empty, loss of interest, angry outbursts and lack of energy. Discussed in an article written by Eric Stice, it is not just parental support needed to deflect depression, but also peer support to decrease the effects of this mental illness. With the sudden crash of distraught emotions, depression can heavily contribute to hardships on relationships. 

From the many side effects that come along with depression, it is particularly hard for the distraught individual to have enough energy during a depressive episode. It is even more difficult to have any energy for friends and family. The depressed individual is solely focusing on themselves, but not in a selfish manner. Depression places intrusive ideas in the brain extending from anxious thoughts to contemplation of suicide. Given this, focusing their energy on anyone but themselves is a harmful distraction that takes away their ability to heal. 

Despite needing to have that selfless time to heal, it is normal for the depressed individual’s peers to still be worried. Oftentimes, the loved ones tend to result in asking invasive questions simply trying to reach an understanding, however these questions often lead to delaying the healing process. There is no direct answer to these questions because in most cases, depression will not occur for one particular reason. Depression is not only hard to explain, but also hard to understand. Those who have never experienced this mental illness will never be able to fully comprehend the significance of it. This is not because of lack of empathy, but only lack of experience and being able to relate to a depressed individual. 

Depression is a constant internal battle that can affect anyone. Especially, being that side effects can occur anytime throughout a person’s life, it is a mental disorder that certain people have to learn to live with. As a result, it may leave damaging effects on relationships because of lack of communication. Considering the wide range of side effects, the depressed independent has many things distracting them from being their true selves.

Hello All! My name is Kyra Afolabi. I was born and raised in St. louis, MO, and moved to KC for school. I am a business administration major with an emphasis in management, with the hopes of eventually starting a company that focuses on advancing underprivileged youth. In my free time, I enjoy making different playlists mainly consisting of neo-soul and r&b music!