Wellness

Tips to Help Your Transition Into Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

With the spread of COVID-19, universities across the country are closing their doors and transitioning to fully online classes. Going to class online is very different than going to class on campus and the transition can be pretty difficult to most students. Here are some tips to make the transition a bit easier!

Sit down and reset your planner 

If you’re like me, you probably sat down at the beginning of the semester and planned out all of your classes and assignment due dates. It’s time to do it all over again! Your professors probably made a lot of changes to the class syllabus so make sure you’re looking at the right one and write down all of the new dates. 

Read your new syllabi carefully

As I said, this transition probably comes with a lot of changes to each of your individual classes. It’s important to read through all of your professor’s emails and changes to the syllabus carefully. For example, there are likely changes in your class attendance policies, since you will no longer be meeting face-to-face in class!

Stick to your routine 

The CDC recommends sticking to a daily routine throughout this time at home. Try to wake-up at the same everyday and setting times to work on each of your classes throughout the day. 

Don’t work in your bed

I know it’s tempting to do your work in your bed or on your couch but it’s better to sit down at a desk or table. While you’re stuck inside of your house, you still want to keep a separation between where you work and where you relax. Working in bed will make it difficult for you to relax in bed when your work is done in addition to making it harder to focus than if you were to sit at a desk. 

Ask questions

If you’re struggling don’t be scared to ask for help! Talk to your fellow classmates or reach out to your professor and ask questions. Chances are you won’t be the only one who is confused during these crazy times!

Hopefully these tips will make the transition to online classes easier for you!

Samantha is a junior studying Broadcast Journalism and Criminology at the University of Kentucky.