To the Girls Who Overbook Themselves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo By Stil on Unsplash

Your college years are extremely contradictory. This is the time in your life when you are supposed to be taking your schooling more seriously than you did in high school and you are supposed to be “resume building” by trying to be as involved as possible in extracurricular activities. But then all of your professors and other adults in your life are telling you to make sure you take good care of yourself to avoid sickness and too much stress.

Wait, what?

How am I supposed to take care of myself mentally and physically when I do not even have time to wash my hair? (Thank goodness for dry shampoo!)

To the girls who have realized that they have took on too much this semester, I have come up with a few ways to make the rest of the semester a little less stressful and self-destructive:

• Stay Organized

My planner is my life line. At the beginning of each semester I sit down with all of my syllabi sitting in front of me and I go through each one and write down important due dates in my planner. If you have not done that yet, it is not too late! Write down the remaining assignments, exams, papers and presentations you have left during this semester. I promise it will change your life and take some stress off of your shoulders. Also write down the events you have to be at in your planner too. Do not worry if your pages start to look like a hot mess, it is okay. Seeing all of the events and tasks that you have to accomplish daily written down on paper will make it easier for you remember and keep your mind on track.

• Take on one task at a time

In addition to staying organized with a planner, only attempt to take on one task at a time. I am the world’s worst at doing this. If you look in your planner and you see that you have a million things to get done that day, do not panic and do not try to complete everything all at once. Breathe. Relax. And start from the top of your list and work your way down.

• Make room for “me-time” at some point of your day, everyday

I cannot stress this enough! Whether it be making time for a longer shower or bath, making sure you are sitting in front of the TV when your favorite show comes on or even something small as taking the long, back roads way home just so you can get away from everything/everyone for an extra five minutes. Making time for yourself everyday will heal your mind, body and soul.

• Try your best to maintain a healthy diet

(Disclaimer: I am still trying to work on this) I know it is hard to eat healthy when you are always on the run. Six out of the seven days of the week you probably do not get home until 9:00 or 10:00 at night and you probably pass that Taco Bell on your way home, but try to pass it. Your stomach and energy level will thank you later. Just because it is convenient does not mean it is good for you.

• Start a solid sleep schedule

Sleep does not come often if you have overextended yourself during the semester. You are probably lucky enough to get four to five hours of sleep every night. Try your best to come up with a sleep schedule and do your best to stick to it. Your body cannot function without an adequate amount of sleep. If you physically cannot get in bed by a decent time, try to make some room in your schedule for a nap in the middle of the day. Drinking coffee will only get you so far.

• Try not to take on so much next semester

Easier said than done, right? If you are like me, you love living a chaotic life even though your mental and physical health might suffer and deteriorate in the midst of it.

It is okay to say “no” every once in a while too. No one is going to be mad or blame you for taking a step back from everything for a minute. Put yourself first every once in a blue moon.

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.