rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

But First, Coffee…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

A typical morning in the day of the life of me looks a little like this:

Wake up

Check texts, emails, and social media

And then when I finally muster up the energy to finally get out of bed, the first place I head to is the kitchen for a cup of coffee.

My love for coffee did not develop until my freshman year of college. There was no way I was going to survive taking 15+ credit hours a week without a cup full of caffeine filled goodness.

On the days that feel like they’re never going to end because they are so long, I have two cups. Because, let us face it, I need that second cup.

I know what some of you all are going to say, “Abbie, that’s probably not healthy.” Well, fellow friends, I’ve conducted some research, and here is what I’ve found:

“Coffee contains lots of antioxidants (it’s the biggest source of antioxidants in an average Western diet!) that help the body fight chemicals called “free radicals.” As a result, coffee drinkers are at a lower risk of diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease, Type II Diabetes, and Heart Disease.” Source: policymic.com.

Is that not fabulous?

Okay, on the opposite side of that, that source went onto state that coffee drinkers are more likely to develop unhealthy habits such as smoking cigarettes and heavy alcohol drinking. But, I drink coffee daily and I have not developed any of these unhealthy habits.

“A single cup of coffee contains 11% of the daily recommended amount of Riboflavin (vitamin B2), 6% of Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5), 3% of Manganese and Potassium, and 2% of Niacin and Magnesium.” Source: italiangoodnews.com.

All of which are needed to survive.  

“People who drink four cups of coffee a day are 80% less likely to develop cirrhosis, a condition that develops from several diseases affecting the liver.” Source: designlikewhoa.tumblr.com.

Well, time to up my coffee dosage from one cup to four.

“Studies have shown that drinking caffeine can increase your metabolism 3 to 11%. It’s one of the few chemicals that can actually help with fat burning.” Source: kimolsonphoto.com.

Skip going to the gym and down a couple cups of joe. Am I right? {Although, I do not think that is all it take to increase your metabolism.}

So if you are feeling guilty for saying yes to that second cup of coffee {or 5th… I’m not here to judge you.} in the morning, refer back to this post, and your conscious will be cleared!

Her Campus UK chapter Campus Correspondent. Senior at the University of Kentucky, majoring in journalism and minoring in information studies. If you see me around campus I'm probably rocking a messy bun with a large coffee in my hand.