5 Things I Had to Stop Criticizing Myself About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It’s no secret that everyone has those moments where they are extremely hard on themselves. Basically being your own biggest critic on what you can and can’t do, what you can and can’t wear, and more. I can definitely hold my hand high when it comes to being hard on myself on the most ridiculous things! So, here’s a list on five of those ridiculous things and why I stopped criticizing myself.

• Clothes

Have you ever seen the most perfect, cute piece of clothing or outfit but completely passed it off because of that “eh it would look terrible on me” feeling, well that was definitely me. I cannot express how many times i’d shy away from the cutest outfit or buy one and never wear it out of fear on how it would look on me or even what others would think. Slowly, but surely I’ve grown that “whatever, I look great!” mentality because every body type is different whether you’re curvy, slim, or petite with the right confidence you can literally pull anything off.

• Weight

One of my number one problems was definitely criticizing my weight all the time. I had gotten to the point where I was actually eating one thing a day and thinking the loss of weight would outweigh my hunger and horrible headaches. With eating disorders being a major concern in young women like myself, I knew it needed to become more body positive. At the end of the day I was being the hardest on myself AND my body, when in reality every body type is beautiful!

• Height

Height isn’t truly something I’m as hard on myself on, but if you’re under five foot like me then you surely never hear the end of how cute, short or tiny you are. Being in social setting where you’re way shorter than other people can definitely make us short people feel totally self-conscious. After coming to the realization that I’m ultimately not growing anymore, I also learned to stop hating on my height. Why? Well, obviously short people are cuter.

• Presenting

Being in college, I can’t count how many times I’ve had to present for a class. It’s basically apart of college right? Sounds silly, but when it comes to presenting I am without a doubt my biggest critic. The “wow that was terrible” and “I should just never come to class again, I did so bad” totally me. I had to stop criticizing myself about this ridiculous thing, really no one is even paying attention except the professor! Going with the flow as you present instead of over-stressing yourself or judging yourself too harshly sounds so much better to me!

• Dancing and singing in public

Ever been somewhere and you hear your favorite song but you’re too afraid you’ll look absolutely ridiculous if you start dancing or singing along? Really you’re just holding yourself back from a good time like I was. Telling my inner self “you’ll look so awkward and ridiculous” and missing out on fun opportunities was not it! I stop criticizing myself and realized that the only thing that truly matters in these moments is having a good time.

I’m at student at UK, majoring in journalism with a minor in psychology!