Wellness

Things to Put in Your Self-Care Bag!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I know you’ve probably read dozens of articles about self-care regimens. Well, listen up! If you’re like me, work and school take up your schedule to the point where you don’t have time to yourself. It can be very beneficial to have a self-care kit full of items to help you relax.

Choose The Correct Kit

We all focus on the tools we put in this self care-kit, but we don’t focus enough of our time on the physical appeal of the kit. What type of kit do you like? Bags, baskets, or bins! Appearances matter when it comes to things like this. I personally like gift baskets because it makes me feel like I’m in a spa.

Essential Oils

I love essential oils because they smell amazing, and they have different benefits. Aromatherapy is one of them! Here are some popular essential oils:

• Insomnia- Lavender and Chamonile
  • Headaches- Orange, Ylang Ylang, and Marajom
  • Dry Skin- Lavender and Tea Tree
  • Distracted- Peepermint and Lemon
  • Sore Throat- Lemon, Thyme, and Oregano
  • Stressed- Eycalptus and Lavender

candles

Candles can help you focus more on yourself instead of the outside world. They are very soothing! You can find candles almost anywhere. My favorite plces to find candles are Bath and Body Works, TJ Maxx, and Burlington’s. Warning: DO NOT LIGHT CANDLES IF YOU USE HAND-SANITIZERS.

Screen Shot 2020 07 13 at 41100 PM?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Target

Books

The phrase “knowledge is power” is highly underrated. I don’t care how old you get, but make sure you read at least one book every year. Books allow us to enter a world that’s not usually talked about, it’s completed ignored, and most people don’t want to talk about it. I’m currently reading Moon Walker by Micheal Jackson.

snacks

I love food! I keep almonds and almond yogurt in my refrigerator. Of course, I have my cheat snacks because I’m human, but it’s important to eat healthy snacks for nutrition purposes. I also recommend buying small packages to not overeat.

Guac
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Nikiya Alfred is the current events director for the UIC HER CAMPUS chapter. She's a third-year college student from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a passion for problem-solving issues in the CPS system. As an Urban Education major with a concentration in English Language Arts, she wants to explore more on Educational policy. This is the perfect opportunity for her to build relationships with other women who have a passion for writing. Please follow her on Instagram @Moondoll_7.