This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The First Step to YOUR Journey

As I began my first year of college I was very excited for the new events that would start in my life. Though I was attending a college that was an hour away, versus friends that went 10 hours away, I was still going to get a college “experience” by living on campus and abiding to my own rules versus my parents. This new found freedom was great! It came with no curfews, no conflicting opinions from parents, control over if I felt like skipping classes, control over what I wore, and last but not least what I ate…(you guys get the point). Though these new found characteristics helped me become a better individual it also put me at a downfall.

At the end of my first year I found out that I gained 25lbs. This was very shocking to me. Not only did I see exactly where every pound went but I started to have low self-esteem because of my weight gain. This hit me very hard because a year ago I was a four sport athlete and was very confident in who I was. I knew that the cause to this problem was the cafeteria and my lack of exercise. I knew that I could not continue to live in fear of people’s opinions. Therefore, a change had to be made. Though I progressively saw the weight gain come throughout the year I am also a victim to making false promises to myself regarding when I was going to start my weight loss journey. My favorite excuses were, “Oh this pizza is just going to go to my booty” or “I cannot start my journey in the middle of the week, everyone knows that weight loss journeys are supposed to start on a Monday.” Reminiscing on those decisions made me realize that I hurt myself and only delayed my progress.

Readers, I know firsthand that starting this journey is going to be very hard and different. Simple encounters such as going out to eat with friends, the pre-game before a party, and fitting exercise into your schedule while peers are doing fun activities will be an adjustment to your lifestyle. But while you are in the midst of all these changes and challenges you have to remember why you wanted to embark on this new lifestyle. The three questions that are helping me keep my goal are: what do I want accomplish, is this activity or food going to help me get closer to my goal, and if other people can commit and change their life why cant I? Since I kept these three questions close to my heart I started my weight loss journey on May 10, 2014: the day I moved out of my dorm to come home for the summer. Though it was hard and I stopped a few times in between I was able to lose 20lbs and also addressed my confidence level. 

I am glad that I started this journey and did not let the little pressures of society such as food, being content with myself, and how hard the process is to change my overall goal. I started my journey in May, aren’t you ready to start yours?              

-Crystal Nwaokocha                                     

If you are interested in my weight loss journey or just need some extra tips on workout routines then click on my channel’s title.   “Live. Love. Learn o”  

Crystal is a sophomore at UIC. She is really interested in fitness and loves to be involved with activities on campus.
UIC Contributor.