Wellness > Health

Exercising with a Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I will admit, life gets busy and chaotic. With finals, classes, extra-curriculars, internships, or jobs, working out can seem like the last thing on our to-do list. By the time we go to class, work on homework, take our tests, go to work, exhaustion sets in and this seems unattainable. 

No need to fear!

Working out can be easy even in the commotion we call life. It may require SOME effort (emphasis on ‘some’) but not as much as we think. Exercising does not need to become this grand event that we stop all that we are doing to accomplish. There is a way to incorporate it into our routines that will make it seem like second nature. 

So here are a few ways working out can be easier with a busy schedule.

Not sure where you have time during the day to even start a workout routine?

My recommendation is to start a planner

Many busy people have a planner to begin with, but if you don’t already have one, I suggest you get one in general.

Write down everything you have to do for the week. Being able to see what tasks you have to accomplish for the entire week will give you a visualization of where you might be able to fit in a quick workout. Log the days you plan on working out and it will remind you and hold you accountable to those designated days.

Workouts do not have to be time consuming.

If you have a week were you can only do it for 20 minutes a day or maybe only have free-time 3 days out of the week, don’t sweat it. No pun intended. People’s misconception is that they have to exercise every waking minute of their days. This is just not true. In my opinion, working out a few days of the week is better than NO days of the week. If you can only go for a 20 minute run one day out of the week, it’s fine. Overdoing it can ruin any motivation you have and make exercising feel like a chore.

You do not have to go the gym to exercise. 

Many people feel they have to have expensive gym memberships and fancy equipment to stay fit. While gyms do offer a lot of wonderful amenities like classes and trainers, it’s not the only way to get in a workout. Doing it at home, your dorm room, apartment, etc. can be an easier more private place to do your routine. 

Not sure what workouts you should even start with?

YOUTUBE!

This is a vast space that anyone can find ideas on workout routines. There are many different types of exercising channels that do follow-alongs that are easy enough for beginners. Here are just a few:

Yoga -Yoga with Adrienne 

Full Body Workouts -Popsugar Fitness 

These are just 2 channels I, personally, use from time-to-time. There are so many other channels out there dedicated to fitness, so don’t feel that you are obligated to just these two channels. Find a channel that fits your style and abilities.

Exercising does not have to be an impossible feat. I will be the first to admit that I am a busy person as well and don’t work out every waking minute. I try my best to incorporate staying fit into my overall week and it’s just become more of a habit at this point. Don’t be defeated. Keep working at it. Busy or not, it is not impossible.

I'm a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago. My major is Communication with a concentration in public relations. Writing has always been my passion and HC lets me utilize my love for it. On the weekends you can find me binge watching Netflix shows like The Office or Parks and Rec. I'm also a sucker for Dunkin Donuts and cute puppies!