kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Club Spotlight: Planned Parenthood Generation Action at UIC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Her Campus UIC had the privilege of speaking with, Izzy, the education chair of the Planned Parenthood Generation Action at UIC. Club Spotlight is a new profile series, at Her Campus UIC, aimed to collaborate with and to promote other student organizations on campus.

Planned Parenthood Generation Action (PPGA) is an amazing group headed by Planned Parenthood with more than 300 campus groups across the nation. Through this organization, students are encouraged to speak about their own experiences and raise public awareness about reproductive health and rights. The organization participates in marches, phone banking, fundraising, and collaborating with other organizations to discuss important issues pertaining to reproductive health. With inspiring events and intersectional discussions, this organization not only brings awareness to issues but uplifts students and young people – empowering them to take control and advocate for their health rights. They aim to create lasting change in their communities and educate their peers on sexual health. 

The UIC PPGA chapter is currently planning a large campus-wide event called, Take Back the Night (TBTN).

HC: What is your position with Planned Parenthood Generation Action at UIC?

I: My position is the education chair, but Maria Valle Coto is the president of the org.

HC: What is Take Back the Night?

I: Take Back the Night is a foundation whose mission is to create safe communities and respectful relationships through awareness. Events are held across the country to help fulfill the mission of ending sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual abuse, and other forms of sexual violence.

HC: How can people get involved with Take Back the Night?

I: People can attend our Take Back the Night event on Thursday, April 12, 2018, from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. at the UIC Quad. There will be speakers and organizations from UIC’s campus and beyond to help facilitate and create this safe space. People of all genders and backgrounds are encouraged to come and unite.

HC: Why is Take Back the Night important for people to be aware of, and to talk about?

I: TBTN is about sharing a collective history and supporting each other. It is about providing resources and healing to a community that is often the home of sexual assault and violence. UIC’s campus is no exception, and we hope to help move it in the right direction.

HC: How can people get more involved with UIC Planned Parenthood Generation Action?

I: We have a great group on campus that tackles a variety of events. We always welcome members from all different majors, years in school, backgrounds, genders, etc. A great place to start is to email us at ppgauic@gmail.com, and follow us on social media!

Our social media tag is @PPGenActionUIC (follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!)

Next fall, we will have TWO board member positions open, so if you are interested in becoming more involved, email us for an application!

Look out for us in the Fall 2018 school year to join!!

To find out more about Planned Parenthood, Generation Action, or start your own Planned Parenthood Generation Action group on your campus, visit https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/communities/planned-parenthood-generation-action.

Savanna is a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago who loves to eat fries and discuss policy.
UIC Contributor.