This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Ever since the election of 1964 in which Lyndon B Johnson won in one of the most lopsided wins in history, the young people vote (age 18-24) has been in a slow decline, having less and less voter turnout as a whole. In 1964 over 50.8% of young adults voted, having the number extremely decreased to 30.8% in 2012; this has to do greatly in part due to the fact that the Voting Rights Act of 1964 was passed that same year, meaning that the struggle that people of color had been struggling against for decades had finally ceased (if you don’t count other rules then implanted).   

The reality is that while 67% of the people registered voted in the 2012 election, only 72% of the eligible population was registered, coming out to only 45% of the population voting for president, meaning the minority of the people elected the government that everyone will have to live with until the next change. 

The excitement that generation did not necessarily pass on to others, having then been skewed in the 1980’s religious resurgence in politics, the “Family Values” movement. Those generations, the baby boomers and Generation X, have been in power of our elections for quite some time, having the most voter registration and turnout.  

The past few years our own generation has come to that conclusion, and this past year especially we have seen the popularity that Senator Bernie Sanders gathered due to the amount of young voters supporting him.  

It is that very same power, the one that catapulted Sanders to a worthy nominee, that is able to give our generation the power to skew the balance in our favor, in someone we would be proud of to have president.  

Whether you are Republican or Democrat, Libertarian or Independent, the fact is: you have to go out and vote.  

The idea that voting does not matter, that our vote will be lost in others may be true if you’re speaking of a very small group of people, but that is not the case. There are 83.1 million “millennials” living in the United States, having making up more than a quarter of our total population. We are more diverse than any other group, having more than 44.2% of people being at least part minority or ethnic group. In a country where the winner-takes-all system is implemented to the highest degree, majority counts and well… we are the majority. In 2012 it was speculated that it was due to Obama gaining 60% of the young vote that he won against rival Mitt Romney. Had Romney gained 30% more of the vote of young people we might have had a completely different election and presidency. 

The Electoral College, a topic that riles my blood up to fizzling anger, is also subject to the idea of majority. Although there is no federal law that prohibits the electors to vote against the majority, 29 states have a laws doing so, which include the states of: Alabama , Alaska , California ,Colorado ,Connecticut ,Delaware ,District of Columbia ,Florida ,Hawaii ,Maine ,Maryland ,Massachusetts ,Michigan ,Mississippi ,Montana,Nebraska ,Nevada ,New Mexico ,North Carolina ,Ohio ,Oklahoma ,Oregon, South Carolina ,Tennessee ,Utah ,Vermont ,Virginia,Washington ,Wisconsin ,and Wyoming . Although Texas is not one of those states, there has never been a time where there has been a faithless elector in our recent history. So while the Electoral College is an ugly pile of poop on the steps of the Capitol, your vote still influences it more than you may think. 

Women especially have a bigger influence than many believe. It is no coincidence that If you’re a woman age 18-24 living in the United States it means you’re 28% less likely to vote, giving you a total of 28% less power than the average american.  

We give ourselves less power because we’re less likely to vote, which may come in part due to the systematic belief that we don’t necessarily matter in any of the decisions being done. It is now the time to debunk that myth, in part due to the issues that have recently taken a specific spotlight in mainstream media, such as abortion, sexual assault, and a fairer workplace. 

Whatever you may believe, you deserve to have your voice heard in every aspect of your opinion, because these decisions will influence you the most. One of the most recent examples of how women are able to exercise their power is in a recent election.  

As US News’ Susan Milligan reports “In 2012, Republican Rep. Todd Akin appeared well-positioned to defeat sitting Missouri Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill. Akin’s position against abortion was well-known. But after Akin declared that women who are raped don’t get pregnant because their bodies “have ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” his support among women plummeted. He lost the female vote by a 58-36 percent margin – and with it, the election.” College women in past polls this year have explained how reproductive rights, education and economy are the most important issues to them, and are some of the issues being greatly debated about by the candidates this election.  

Another part of voting is one a lot of our general population are not very educated about. This coming Tuesday we are not only voting for our next president but also Representatives, Electors, Judges, Sheriffs, District Attorneys, etc., all of which will have an impact on your life probably more than the President. These people are State and Local officers and appointees, that will have direct contact with your daily lives.  The importance of knowing who these people are and what they stand for is more important at this point, one being so close to the election. By now we have heard our presidential nominees points and beliefs on many ranging topics, but we don’t know any points or platforms from nominees going for any other position. As a voter it is your responsibility to know everyone on your ballot come election day so you are able to make the decision that is closest to your beliefs and who you would be proud to have your vote.  

Reading this, I hope that if you’re one of the 60% of the people eligible to vote, you realize that despite the common thread of thought that your vote does not matter and you shouldn’t even bother is wrong. Casting your vote is something that people fought for time and time again in history. It’s the idea that you have freedom in choosing what type of country or place you live in, one can be influenced by your choice.  Your power in your voice cannot be determined by anyone else and if you’re one of the lucky ones to have the chance to have your say in this country, then you exercise your right to the full extent. Across party lines, despite socioeconomic class, putting aside everything else, you deserve and have the privilege to vote, a right that was withheld from almost every person except white men for a major part of our nation’s history. Your vote is one that deserves to be casted, and in an election as historic and as notorious as this one, it deserves to be counted.

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 be a part of history and cast your ballot, make your choice, and have your voice be heard.

Irina Alejandro is a sophomore at the University of Houston, getting a major in political science and two minors women's studies and international affairs. In her spare time she loves singing loudly in the shower, forcing herself to workout, and talking excessively about politics. She also enjoys long walks on the beach, going to PTA meetings and crying over minor inconveniences. If you want to contact her for a date, leave a comment on one of her articles.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."