Embrace being an Outcast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

outcast:one that is cast out or refused acceptance (as by society)

As a Mexican American in the U.S feeling like an outcast has become common with all of this political turmoil. And the worst part is I can not change who I am, I can not run from my culture and the color of my skin, but I can stand tall and face whatever adversity comes my way.

Doing so means going against the odds and perhaps, failing through the process. However, that does not mean I’m going to give up. That does not mean you have to give up either.

It seems as if society looks at me, and automatically expects me to fail. It is really rare when something big is expected of me. Instead, I am the one expected to be the college dropout. I am the one expected to not fulfill my dreams.

Like some of the brightest civil right heroes, such as MLK and Dolores Huerta, that fought for their dream, we can do the same.

You don’t need to protest, but instead start out simple.

We can do so by acing that Cal 1 exam or writing that bomb essay that will get you into medical school. We can fight by teaching the generations after us and future COOGS that whatever we dream of it is possible despite what people say. Being an outcast can seem like a burden at first, but it can be a blessing to help you push further.

HELLO! My name is Denia Gomez. I am a Latino first generation student at the University of Houston. I'm majoring in Biochemistry (YAY! Science). I am the youngest of four and the only girl. On my free time i like to hang out with family and friends and go on spontaneous adventures, like random road trips to San Antonio or Dallas. I also enjoy a good cup of tea and a good read. And when all fails, my favorite thing to do is to sleep!
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."