Easy 7 to Eco-Friendly Heaven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Do you enjoy making a difference on a large scale by doing small things? Then Earth day is meant for you! UH is dedicating an entire week to cleaning up our planet starting on April 15, and all week long there will be great activities for coogs to help save the globe.

1. Recycle

Did you know glass can take up to a million years to decompose? Why contribute to a wasteland if you can recycle and make this world sustainable. Even buying recycled items makes a huge difference. It takes the same amount of energy to produce one brand new aluminum can as it does to produce twenty recycled aluminum cans.

2. Unplug

Plugs are energy vacuums, and energy cannot be created, so when you’re not putting that energy to good use disconnect from the outlet.

3. Reusable shopping bags

Ditch the plastic and trade it in for a cute tote bag. Plastic shopping bags are not biodegradable and are polluting our oceans and harming the sea life. Save the cute marine animals and get an inexpensive reusable shopping bag.

4. Go vegetarian one day out of the week

You can eat a little healthier for one day and reducing your meat in take saves water because it takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce only one pound of ground beef. So maybe try a nice salad every once and a while.

5. Take shorter showers or you can even shower with ‘bae’

You can save about ten gallons of water by shaving 2 minutes off your showering time. Also showering with your boo can certainly save some water. So be a friend of the Earth and shower together.

6. Take your bike for a spin

Living in such a huge city like Houston can make riding your bike a challenge, but running small errands to nearby places is the perfect time to take your bike. Not only are you getting in more exercise but your carbon foot print is a lot smaller.

7. Plant Trees

Plant a tree in your yard or a community garden. By planting more trees and plants you are giving back to the earth. Go outdoors get some fresh air and be an advocate for our planet.

Go out, go green! Reduce, reuse, and recycle. You can also find plenty of fun earth friendly activities during Earth week at UH. Check them out here!

I am an aspiring writer and excited to be writing for Her Campus. I am a print media journalism major with a minor in classical studies in the class of 2017. Go Coogs! Writing is one of my passions and I believe it give us the potential to make a huge impact. So be kind. Love much. And write on.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."