This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Third ward is not known for being the safest neighborhood in Houston.

Third ward houses our university and as UH sees growth in enrollment, academic achievement and athletics it also sees a growth in crime.

Anyone is free to enter campus grounds.

According to the UH main campus crime report updated September 2015 robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft all saw increases by a significant amount. Burglary saw the largest increase to over 120 reported cases from 36.

On the other hand forcible sex offenses and arson saw a decrease from one year to the next.

This open accessibility can lead to an increase in outside crime.

However because of the location of UH it would be near to impossible to effectively close it off from the rest of Third ward.

Campus safety is an important aspect of the atmosphere at the University of Houston. Because Coogs must deal with a wide range of safety concerns it’s crucial to know how to stay safe.

Together the University of Houston can continue to grow and become better by everyone doing their part to keep the UH community a safe one.

Call 713-743-3333 for a security escort on campus and visit http://www.uh.edu/campus-safety/ for safety tips and procedures.

I am an aspiring writer and excited to be writing for Her Campus. I am a print media journalism major with a minor in classical studies in the class of 2017. Go Coogs! Writing is one of my passions and I believe it give us the potential to make a huge impact. So be kind. Love much. And write on.
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."