Wellness > Health

5 Ways to Feel Fit Even Though You’re too Busy for Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Between an internship with the City of Houston, 15 hours of classes, being on the executive board of two organizations and coordinating campus-wide events, I’d say that I stay pretty busy. The primary way I save time is by cutting exercise out of my day. Under the guise of being busy, I eat fast food and then (under that same guise) I don’t go to the gym. It’s a vicious cycle, but I’ve found a way that even I, a high-strung and neurotic workhorse, can lead a more active life. 

I saw the 100 Squats a Day Challenge about a month ago and since then have incorporated more exercise into my daily life by creating a comprehensive and largely unscientific 100 Things a Day Challenge that makes me feel like I’m doing something for my body. I’m sore most of the time so we’ll use that as the ultimate measure of success. 

Like I said, largely unscientific. Regardless, doing some form of exercise does help me feel more in tune with my body and keeps me motivated. Best of all, because the exercises are throughout the day, I don’t feel like I need to carve out specific time to do them. 

What do you have to lose? Give it a try! 

1. Squats x100

I usually do four sets of 25 squats throughout the day. It’s easy to find time to do 25 squats between classes or even during a bathroom break at my internship. Four sets is the minimum, sometimes I lose count throughout the day and do more! ….I’ll re-reference my largely unscientific modus operandi here. 

2. Jumping Jacks x100

I do two bursts (sometimes more) of 50 jumping jacks sometime during the day, usually not one right after the other. It takes less than a minute per burst and my heart is pumping by the end. 

3. Pushups x100

I do ten sets of ten throughout the day. It takes no time at all to do ten pushups! The only downside is that the floor is dirty….probably wash your hands after, it’s flu season.  

4. Standing Calf Raise x100

I do four sets of 25 throughout the day. I don’t use a block, I just stand shoulder width apart and raise myself up on my toes, then drop back onto my heels 25 times. It works just as well without the block and you can feel the burn in your calves after doing this a few times. 

5. Lunges x100

Four sets of 25 lunges goes by fairly quickly when done throughout the day. It’s easy to do these while walking somewhere; just make sure you’re not in a hurry and that no one is looking at you like you’ve lost your mind! 

Doctors and etcetera keep telling us that daily physical activity is important and this “workout” sure does (probably) count! It’s easy to become so consumed by academics and adult responsibilities that you neglect your body, but exercise is an essential ingredient to leading a happier and more fulfilling life. Especially in small doses, exercise is a great way to keep every moment of your day engaged and productive.

So far, these are the only exercises I do daily! I’m sure I’ll add more to my 100’s regiment but for now, this is a great start and a good way for me to stay engaged with my body. I recommend it to all you busy go-getters out there! Good luck on your midterms! 

Ariz is the Managing Director and a Campus Correspondent at HerCampus at the University of Houston. She is a candidate for a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. In her free time, she likes to catch up on sleep, listen to Supreme Court arguments, and rewatch Game of Thrones and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.