5 Healthy Recipe Alternatives to Try This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Ahhh the joys of Thanksgiving break. Home for a week, free meals, family, and of course the highly anticipated Thanksgiving day feast. While enjoying a heaping plate that leaves you immobile for the rest of the day might seem enticing, there are healthier ways to enjoy the best parts of Thanksgiving food.

Photo by Nils Stahl on Unsplash

Here are some healthier recipe alternatives to try at home on turkey day!

If you love green bean casserole…

Try roasted or grilled veggies! Sprinkle with garlic powder or other seasonings for a delicious alternative to a heavier dish.

If you like mashed potatoes…

Try this recipe for roasted sweet potatoes! As yummy as regular potatoes, minus the cream and fat.

If you love stuffing…

Try quinoa or brown rice for a side high in fiber.

If you love pumpkin pie…

Try these vegan pumpkin cheesecake bites for a perfectly proportioned sweet tooth satisfier.

If you love dark meat turkey…

Try white meat instead. With 40% less calories and half the fat, white meat is the way to go without missing the taste!

Wellsley Kesel is a third year journalism student at The University of Georgia. She is a major advocate for healthy living and hopes to one day become a health or lifestyle writer for a high-profile magazine. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her at the gym, scouring Pinterest for fashion and clean eating inspo, and stalking goldendoodle instagram accounts. Find her on instagram @wellsley.j for a peek into her life adventures!