summer girl legs swimming pool
summer girl legs swimming pool
Kellyn Simpkins / Her Campus
Wellness

Relax: It’s Nothing but a Wax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you were to ask middle school me how I felt about waxing down there—and yes, I mean down there—I would have enlarged my eyes in fear. The mere thought of putting a razor down there terrified me, let alone some hot, sticky wax. The idea of putting anything down there to get rid of hair was a foreign concept, but it was one I knew I had to grasp eventually, mostly since I already felt like a late bloomer compared to other girls.

Although I was able to get over my fear of shaving and continued to do so throughout high school, it never felt appealing or made my vaginal area feel as smooth as I had hoped for it to be. I understood that razor bumps were entirely normal. However, they always felt like a burden whenever I would dance in leotards or other costumes, and the only thing I could think of was how bad the rash would be once that was over.

It wasn’t until the summer before my freshman year that I decided I’d had enough of my obnoxious razor burns and took the plunge into the world of waxing. Was it terrifying? Of course. However, the many benefits of waxing immediately drew me in.

The benefits of waxing

As scary as it seems, ever since waxing, I have begun to see why so many people prefer to spend their money on monthly visits to their preferred waxing center.

First off, waxing is overall better for your skin. European Wax Center is known for its Comfort Wax which is made with the highest-quality beeswax and other good-for-you ingredients designed to calm and nurture skin. Plus, unlike shaving, nicks and scrapes aren’t a worry.

Additionally, it’s a quick process that is not meant to be tedious. Services that include extensive areas, such as the legs, will run longer, so be sure to keep that in mind.

Another benefit of waxing is the long-lasting results. When you shave, you are only scraping what’s on the surface and disregarding what’s left underneath the skin. Before you know it, in about 24 hours, the hair will begin to grow back and the time invested in shaving will go down the drain. With waxing, the hair is removed by the root, so the worrying about stubble can come to an end. As for bumps and ingrown hairs, if you keep up with the proper cleaning and exfoliation recommended after your wax session, those are problems of the past.

Common wax misconceptions

The numerous concerning myths about waxing caused me to rush to Google to confirm if they were true and only made me feel more anxious about my decision. Luckily, my go-to waxing spot back home was more than eager to answer all of my questions and concerns.

And believe me, there were a lot…

When starting a new beauty procedure, the first thing you think about is what can go wrong. With waxing, as simple as the concept seems, there are flaws. Not to mention what could work fantastically for some may not be best for others.

Melanie Coba, National Brand Ambassador for European Wax Center, sat down with InStyle writer Erin Lukas to debunk the most common myths about waxing. In the article “The Truth Behind the Most Common Waxing Myths,” Coba tackled the myth that troubled me the most: waxing makes your hair grow back thicker.

Coba confirmed to Lukas that frequently waxing could drastically change your hair. Coba also said that the hair removal method’s exfoliating nature does not just help your skin feel and look smoother. Your hair will also eventually grow in softer and sparser. “Most guests are surprised at how quickly their hair changes,” she explained.

From personal experience, after a couple of waxing sessions, the area became smoother over time. However, keep in mind that it is different for everyone.

Another major misunderstanding that I, and many people, believed is that waxing causes sagging and wrinkles. Surprisingly, the process of waxing does the opposite, even though the wax does pull on your skin.

“The skin is held taut during waxing so the skin should never be tugged away from the body. And when the wax is removed, it provides a mechanical exfoliation revealing smoother, newer skin. This exfoliation will help keep the skin looking younger over time,” Coba explained.

Every waxing experience is different for everyone. Although the process is pricey after your first visit—$50 in comparison to the initial $25—the results are definitely worth every penny.

Jasmine Cubillan is a fourth-year at the University of Florida and is currently studying public relations with a minor in event management and dance. Her articles cover topics from women empowerment to local businesses to support. When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus UFL, she practices yoga or explores new places to have brunch.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.