This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The coronavirus pandemic sure has taught us a lot about protecting ourselves from germs. From washing our hands while singing the ABCs to wearing face masks in public, we are taking all the proper precautions to prevent infection. However, this may mean we are letting other aspects of our health go by the wayside.

One of these is sexual health, which can be easily forgotten during a pandemic. Even though it may not seem like it, it is crucial to maintain your sexual health if you are sexually active.

Public health experts recommend only engaging in sexual activity with a live-in partner to prevent the spread of infection. Some even recommend that as long as they are within a close circle of people you have contact with and are exclusive, it is okay.

However, you should avoid sex if you or your partner are not feeling well or if they are a part of an at-risk group. While it has not been shown that the virus can be spread through “bodily” fluids, it can be transmitted through feces, so oral contact with that region should be avoided.

In terms of routine sexual health, there are many resources available you can use from your home. Here is a list of sexual health resources for UF students and any other person interested in protecting their sexual health:

Have no fear, Telehealth is here!

Telehealth enables you to talk about your sexual health with a provider over video chat or access essential services. If you are a UF student, the UF Student Health Care Center is providing Telehealth appointments for a variety of health topics. In terms of sexual health, contraception management and STI testing (only asymptomatic) are available. Scheduling telehealth appointments are easy and can offer a way to keep up with sexual health while at home. For more information on SHCC Telehealth, such as appointment scheduling, click here.

If you want a service more localized and aren’t in Gainesville, Planned Parenthood offers telehealth services that can assist with prescriptions, birth control or treat a STD. You can check availability and information about scheduling by clicking here.

At-Home STI Testing for that questionable itch…

While you’re not able to leave your house, you can still get tested. At-home STI testing offers a more comfortable environment and less awkward interactions than a traditional gynecological appointment. While this option can be a bit pricey, it’s good to know it’s available if you are getting paranoid during quarantine. Kits can test for a single STI, such as HIV or herpes, or you can get a box that tests for them all. Typically, once you buy the kit, you can get results anywhere between three days and two weeks.

You simply send in your sample, wait, log on to your patient portal and done! Here is a person’s experience with using an at-home STI testing kit. Some kits offer consultation with a healthcare professional to discuss your results and next steps to take if tested positive. Many of the kits go to the same labs that doctors use, so they’re valid assessments, especially if you follow the directions to a tee.

General information, because knowledge is power (duh)

If you need some general tips for approaching sexual health, there are a plethora of resources. The UF Student Health Care Center offers some tips on giving yourself a breast exam here and a thorough Q&A session with the Women’s Clinic to answer your pressing sexual health questions. The Q&A session is especially helpful if you may have missed a pill or are worried about your birth control use.

If you are looking for sexual health tips during the pandemic, check out New York’s official guide to safe sex practices. It may be a bit franker than expected, however, it says what you need to know.

As always, feel free to check out what the CDC has to say, which includes guidance for LGBTQ+ couples. The American Sexual Health Association is also a great place to find information about taking care of your sexual health, including information on both women’s and men’s health and a guide to healthy relationships.

Accessing birth control is not as hard as you think

While some types are not an option at the moment (an IUD has to be inserted by a doctor, for example), there are options that you could have within a week. There are numerous companies that ship birth control right to your door, without a prescription ready. Simply sign up for the service, complete the online appointment with a healthcare professional, upload your insurance information or pay as little as $15, and you’re good to go.

They offer options such as the good old-fashioned pill, the patch, the ring or the shot that can be delivered right to your door with automatic refills. They even send some extra goodies, such as stickers or candy to deal with the change in hormones. One company well known for this is Nurx. Other popular ones are The Pill Club, Planned Parenthood and many others. They even offer emergency contraception in case there is a slip up and other sexual health information. Take this quiz to see which birth control option is right for you.

PrEP is not out of reach, either

Some of the same companies that offer birth control online also provide PrEP, which can help prevent HIV. Nurx specifically helps with affordability and guides you in the right direction. The process is a bit more intensive than the birth control, but still easily accessible. You pay the $15 consultation fee and will receive a HIV testing packet in discreet packaging if you are eligible to take it.

Once you send the kit back, the doctors will review it and send you three months of PrEP. There is the added headache of having to pay the $15 consultation fee and buy the lab kit every three months for a new prescription, but this can at least get you through until the pandemic is over. The prices are different depending on insurance and other factors, so click here for more information.

The pandemic may be taking center stage right now, but it’s important not to forget about the other aspects of your health. These resources can help you keep up with your sexual health and ensure nothing happens while we are all cooped up in our homes. Being home also adds its own trouble since you may need to tell your parents you need a birth control refill or information on insurance.

If you are or aren’t comfortable bringing up the topic, click here for some advice on how to best approach it. Ultimately, it is your body and you have the last say in what you do with it; just don’t risk your safety over fear of telling your family. If you can’t tell your family, then some of these options offer discreet packaging to protect your sexual health while at home.

With that, I wish you all a safe (AKA baby and STI free) quarantine!

Casey is a third-year biology major at the University of Florida and a Features Writer for Her Campus UFL. If she is not freaking out about school, then you can find her going to the beach, watching Ghost Whisperer with her BFF, or trying to find a new pin for her backpack.