This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I knew from a young age that I genuinely enjoyed writing. Before I even understood what journaling was, I knew that it instantly made me feel better. Journaling not only was—and still is—an outlet for me, but it also allowed me to express what I felt during the times I could not express it verbally. It helped with my anxiety and improved my hyperactive thought process when it came to everyday tasks where my brain would go 1000 miles per minute. Unfortunately, the older I got, the more frequently I began to not take my journal entries as seriously as I used to. Immersing myself in many different extracurriculars and juggling school and a job made journaling seem like a chore to do since I did not feel like I had the energy or time. Eventually, the concept of journaling seemed pointless since I was able to express what I felt verbally a lot more easily than when I was younger. Little did I know that, although I firmly believed that I didn’t need to journal anymore, I desperately needed an outlet to make me feel like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and help me compose my thoughts when I felt overwhelmed.

Little did I know that all I needed was 5 minutes—literally.

The Five Minute Journal

“The desire for a more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one’s negative experience is itself a positive experience,” said Mark Manson.

I did not just happen to include a random inspiring quote. Surprisingly, that is how The Five Minute Journal begins each daily entry.

Created by Alex Ikonn and UJ Ramdas, the philosophy behind The Five Minute Journal is simple: every day is better when you start it off with gratitude. Moreover, you can easily show your gratitude in five minutes.

Marketed as “a journal for people who don’t write journals,” The Five Minute Journal is a gratitude journal, meaning that you solely put forth what you are grateful for, intending to set the tone for a positive day for at least five consecutive days.

The journal entry is broken into two parts: a morning routine section and a night routine section.

The morning routine starts by asking what you are grateful for when you first wake up. Next, it asks what would make the day great. Lastly, there is space for daily affirmations.

The night routine is shorter than the morning routine. However, it’s that way on purpose because its focus is merely to reflect on your day. It asks for three amazing things that happened that day. Finally, it asks how you could have made the day even better.

Although the same questions are asked every day, the journal’s purpose is to help you make a habit of being grateful, even if it’s for the littlest things.

My entries have been as simple as being grateful to have had an Eggo waffle for breakfast or even being grateful for the ability to wake up in a warm bed—the key is not to overthink it.

Five minute tidbits I have acquired

In the article “Four Reasons to Keep a Work Diary,” Teresa Amabile and Steve Kramer point out that the four main reasons to keep a work diary or journal are (1) focus, (2) patience, (3) planning and (4) personal growth.

Although these four reasons seem broad, the general ideas of the Five Minute Journal are precisely the same.

I’ve used the journal for about four months now, and it has influenced my personal growth for the better. Writing down affirmations has made me feel a lot more positive about myself and acknowledge my self-confidence, even as someone who has struggled with self-esteem from a young age.

The journal has also helped me become more aware of my productivity. When I write down important tasks that I have to do in the “what would make today great” section, I am more likely to complete those assignments before the end of the day. Additionally, I find myself more focused throughout the day when I write down my intentions to accomplish things.

One of the most challenging things about the journal is not getting tired of being asked the same things every day. Some mornings, I struggled to find things to be grateful for because I did not want to seem repetitive. Immediately, my first resolution was to begin thinking more in-depth, instead of bluntly stating that I was grateful for my breakfast of the day. Being more specific immediately made my morning mood more lighthearted and positive.

For anyone who has a couple of minutes—five, to be exact—this journal will instantly enhance your view of everyday life.

Jasmine Cubillan is a fourth-year at the University of Florida and is currently studying public relations with a minor in event management and dance. Her articles cover topics from women empowerment to local businesses to support. When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus UFL, she practices yoga or explores new places to have brunch.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.