Style

Lookbook: How to Wear Gator Colors Beyond the Swamp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Every home game-day, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium is a sea of orange, white and blue. Tailgating fashion trends come and go, but every football season there’s one thing for certain: Gators always dress to impress. Remember, they say our boys are the squarest and our girls are the fairest for a reason. But there comes a time in every young gator’s life, give or take four football seasons, where he or she moves on to further their education or get a job (that they worked so hard to get). Years have passed, and former game day trends live on through memories and photos because the clothes usually meet an untimely demise. Cut-up Tee shirts get tossed, gear gets donated or passed down to future Gators, and the rest ends up in the bottom of boxes deep in childhood homes or in a Goodwill bin. Most alumni expand their wardrobe to include the rest of the color wheel after graduation. But why throw away your school spirit along with your college clothes?

Whether you’re a soon-to-be graduate or in need of new clothes to wow your new internship, the office is actually the best place to subtly show off your school spirit. After all, you worked so hard at UF to even get that job! Here are six Gator-inspired looks that you can sport in the real world, too.

1. Miss Two Bits

Although it’s not exactly weather-appropriate for Gainesville, or even the whole state of Florida for most of the year, this business chic look is perfect for your big city internship (weather permitting, of course). The blazer and shoes add a bold touch to the otherwise neutral black-and-white look.

To complete the look, get the Plaid Mini Skirt ($49.90 at Zara), the Ribbed Turtleneck Sweater ($15.90 at Forever 21), the Women’s Long Blazer ($75.60 at Express), or the Steve Madden Daisie Pump ($89.95 at Zappos).

2. Old Florida

This look can be worn virtually anywhere for most occasions –– small town, big city, brunch with friends, heading into the office, going for a night out on the town –– you name it. The wrap top alone manages to capture the Florida spirit with its use of both white and orange with off-navy stripes (not gator-blue, but we’ll allow it).

To complete the look, get the 10-Inch High-Rise Skinny Jeans ($128 at Nordstrom), the Striped Wrap Top ($26.99 at Venus), the Fan fringed gold-tone earrings ($140 at Net-A-Porter), and the Women’s Myla Pumps – A New Day™ ($27.99 at Target).

3. We are the Boys

In case you didn’t see the swarms of fashion editors headed to NYFW in long plaid blazers worn as dresses, plaid seems to never go out of style. Don’t forget your clear sandals in honor of the transparent bags you have to sport if you want to bring anything into the Swamp. The splash of blue and the clear shoes give a modern twist to the 80s vibe (with a gator stamp of approval).

To complete the look, get the Glen Plaid Print Blazer ($37.90 at Forever 21), the Ankle Cropped Pants ($39.50), and the Clearer Sandals ($89.95 at DSW)

4. Won’t Back Down

Nothing says power move, like a bold jumpsuit and striking pattern to complement it. Just like Tom Petty, you won’t be backing down in the conference room in this outfit. This could even double as a game-day outfit, sans blazer.

To complete the look, get the Gingham Blazer ($69.50 at Zara), the Like It Like That Cobalt Blue Sleeveless Surplice Jumpsuit ($59 at Lulu’s), the Dolce Vita Cato Orange Suede Leather Slide Sandals ($59.99 at Dolce Vita).

5. Where the Girls are the Fairest

Though UF isn’t necessarily a southern school, being in the SEC has brought the school its fair share of southern charm. This could also function as a dressy game day look. Styling statement earrings with a solid colored off-the-shoulder dress creates a whole world of style possibilities. For a fresh fall twist on this summer look, try a full-length nude trench coat layered over the midi dress with neutral tights underneath. Styled with booties and a beret-style beanie. It’s perfect for the cooler weather.

To complete the look, get the Brittany Orange Off-the-Shoulder Midi Dress, the Lesly Off White Leather Espadrille Wedges ($120 at Lulus) and the Florida Gators Tiered Tassel Fringe Earrings (at Etsy).

6. The No. 8 Public University in the Nation

The University of Florida recently moved up in its ranks to No. 8 on the latest U.S. News & World Report Top Ten Public Universities in the nation list. Why does this matter? Because you have to represent­­ ­­–– the best has to look the best! Wear this fun look to the office or for a casual night out with friends. Dress it up with an envelope clutch or statement tote bag.

To complete the look, get the High Waisted White Stretch Bell Flare Jeans, the Wrap Tie Blouse, and the Bead Chain Faux Suede Heels ($24.99 at Forever 21), and the Patent Logo Clasp Crossbody ($52 at Armani Exchange).

Whether you’re at the Swamp or in the office, these Florida-inspired looks are great motivation to put your head back in the game. You can also mix and match these must-have wardrobe staples to create the illusion of a whole new clothing collection.

Carolina is a third-year journalism major at the University of Florida. After graduation, she plans to reunite with her one true love— New York City. NYC bound, Carolina hopes to, one day, work for one of Hearst’s many magazine publications (*cough, cough* ELLE or Cosmo. She’s honestly not picky; she just wants to be employed) as a Social Media Director. In her rare free time, you can either find her in second-home and first love, Orlando, Florida, or running around town looking for something to write about. 
Iesha Ismail studied as a double major in English and Women's Studies at the University of Florida. Iesha is the High School/Her Future editor, a Feature Writer, and Style Blogger for Her Campus National. She was also the senior editor for Her Campus UFL and senior content editor for UF's Sparks Magazine. She is currently working in editorial for a financial research publication firm, and a guest contributor for Muslim Women Professionals. Iesha loves to observe nature and fashion as inspiration for all kinds writing she's into. Fashion, culture, drawing, and animation are just a few of the passions she plays with on the daily. Whether it's writing colorful stories or sketching in her worn out sketchbooks, Iesha always dabbles in anything art.