bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Traded Coffee for Green Tea and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love coffee. I was one of those people who had to have their coffee in the morning to function. My roommate was crazy about green tea at the time, so I thought “Why not?” Now, it’s a year later, and I am constantly drinking green tea, and trust me, it’s not for the taste. This is what I have noticed since then:

1. I lost weight

Green tea contains bioactive compounds that tell your brain to break down fat cells. In other words, if you drink green tea in the morning, it will boost your metabolism for the rest of the day. This means that your body will continue to burn calories without even exercising. How awesome is that? *Tip: For a super boost in metabolism, have a cup of green tea on an empty stomach, then do a little cardio.

2. My stomach is flatter

Now, I am not saying I have a six pack (or even close), but it does help lessen general bloating and water weight. Green tea has anti-inflammatory effects, which will inherently reduce inflammation in your gut, giving you the appearance of a flatter stomach. So try drinking a cup of green tea in the morning before you hit the beach.

3. I gained more mental clarity throughout the day.

This may seem crazy since I used to need to have my coffee to function, but what I didn’t realize was the mental fog I had from all the sugar in my coffee (No, I am not cool and drink my coffee black). Green tea contains about half the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee, so try drinking two cups of green tea in the morning to even it out.

4. I am not as hungry in the morning.

Green tea helps reduce appetite. So throughout the day, you will probably consume fewer calories without even trying (goodbye lbs). Even more so if you drink green tea a few times a day. 

5. It reduces my anxiety and relaxes me before bed.

Green tea has many anti-anxiety effects on the brain, leaving you calm, focused and alert. If you get the jitters from all the caffeine in coffee, you might want to give green tea a try. However, if you drink green tea before bed, make sure to get the decaf option.  

I love my green tea. I drink about three cups a day, but that doesn’t mean I don’t hit up Starbucks occasionally. Hey, a girl has got to have her mocha caramel frappuccino when she needs it!

Photo credit: http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/

Taylor Wilson

Features writer and videographer Taylor is a third-year public relations major and this is her first semester with Her Campus UFL. Taylor just transferred from LSU where she played on their beach volleyball team so she is super pumped to finally be a Florida Gator. Since moving to the ville, you can find Taylor either at SWR playing beach volleyball, blogging at Starbucks or staying up too late in midtown. This Summer Taylor is studying abroad with the J-school in Greece and London and then backpacking across Europe. You can follow her blog at sunsandvolley.wordpress.com and on Instagram @taytayyy28