How to Make the Easiest Rice Krispies Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Out of all the desserts that my roommate Casie and I cook, I would say that Rice Krispies treats are probably the easiest (and fastest) to make. You really only need to buy a box of plain Rice Krispies cereal and some mini marshmallows, and the rest of the ingredients can probably be found already in your refrigerator and pantry. This recipe is adapted from Cookies and Cups’ “Perfect Rice Krispie Treat” recipe.

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 bag of mini marshmallows
  • Cereal Krispie (6 cups)
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Tools you will need:

• Pan
  • Spatula
  • Measuring cups
  • Cooking oil spray
  • Large bowl for mixing
  • Large cooking pot

Steps:

Step 1: Prepare all the necessary ingredients for your Rice Krispies treats. Reserve 1 cup of the mini marshmallows for use later.

Step 2: Spray the cooking pot evenly with cooking oil.

Melt the butter over medium-low heat.

Step 3: Once the butter is melted, add in the entire bag of mini marshmallows, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth.

Step 4: Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in your cereal and salt until just coated in the marshmallow mixture.

Step 5: Now, stir in the reserved 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Spray cooking oil onto prepared pan. Pour mixture into the pan and press in evenly.

Spraying the cooking oil onto the pan will allow for better cleanup afterwards. Your sink sponge will thank you later! Step 6: Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares or slices.

This step is extremely important because you want the treat to stay intact when you take a slice of it from the pan. I can’t tell you how many times my patience ran out while cooking this recipe and I cut a square too soon, only for it to fall apart miserably in my hand. My roommates laughed at my poor cutting job and how messy the pan looked, all because I didn’t let the Rice Krispies cool down.

Overall, my roommate and I love to make these Rice Krispies treats when we are having a sweet-tooth craving. Not only is the recipe incredibly simple, but it is easy and fast to cook as well. One of the best parts of this recipe is that you can add sprinkles, chocolate candies or even a chocolate drizzle on top if you’re feeling it. The choice is up to you!

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.