Hippie Town: Vegetarian Living in Gainesville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I went vegetarian during my freshman year of high school and have never looked back. It’s been a journey of highs and lows, of VegFest and eating french fries for dinner. I’ve developed an immense depth of knowledge about the link between physical health and mental wellness and growing a large and unique palette ranging from tofu (I promise it tastes good when cooked right) to jackfruit. That said, it’s not always easy. College is a lifestyle change in itself, so adding additional dietary restrictions can seem overwhelming. 

But that’s where the beauty of Gainesville comes in! Gainesville and UF’s community foster a thriving body of vegans, vegetarians and those looking to switch up their habits. With a plethora of restaurants from Thai to Mexican, it’s a daunting challenge to choose a favorite. That said, here are my top tips for vegetarian living in Gainesville:

Know which restaurants have options

Although each year brings a new variety of options, it never hurts to have a list of favorites to pick and choose from in any given circumstance. A few of my favorite fast food options are Chick-fil-A and Burger King. Perfect for that post-game-day grub, the grilled chicken wrap minus the chicken and the Beyond Burger satisfies my every craving.

If you want a casual restaurant check out Bolay. This Chipotle-style restaurant features the best combination of tofu, grilled veggies and varieties of rice in the entire city!

When you’re looking for a place that has table service, go to The Top. This sit-down establishment details numerous unique but delicious options – also a great atmosphere for date night. My favorite dish is the Top pecan tofu — “Pan Fries Pecan Crusted Organic Tofu topped with Rosemary Shiitake Mushroom Brandy Cream Sauce, served with two sides.” 

Explore the endless list of grocery options in Gainesville

Trader Joe’s, Publix, Whole Foods and many other grocery stores have a range of food that caters to every niche palette. If you want amazing vegan frozen food, hit TJ’s. If you want a top-of-the-line salad bar, Whole Foods is your jam. Fresh Market is perfect for those with organic taste. If you’re looking to try something new, hit up any of our international stores, i.e.: La Aurora, Chun Ching Market, India Bazaar and Gainesville Russian Food.

Don’t be afraid to take a chance on a new store, you may be amazed at what you find! Your new favorite food is waiting on the shelf; you just have to get out there and find it.

Meet your people

In the grand scheme of things, eating plant-based, whether that be vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or flexitarian, is not an impossible task. As stated earlier, as long as you know your restaurants and work with those around you, you can seamlessly maintain your eating habits without a second thought. That said, there are advantages to having friends who have the same eating habits. You not only receive emotional support (aka no one makes you defend yourself or explain where you get your protein), but you can share meals, cook together and venture out into the Gainesville food scene together. Several clubs let you establish this community. Vegan Eating for Gators (VEG) is a self-described, “Vegan cooking organization that aims to bring students at UF together to make and enjoy delicious plant-based food!” 

You can find a presentation to learn more about them here. If you are looking for a larger organization open to UF students as well as the greater Gainesville community, check out Gainesville Vegans, a social media network and community that seeks to highlight options and resources for plant-based locals.

Honor your cravings and find the right substitutes

I’m not going to pretend that I don’t crave the meals I had as a kid occasionally or wish I could partake in the cultural standard that is turkey on Thanksgiving. However, being vegetarian is not about me disliking meat, but the propensity to educate myself about the world around me. Although meat tastes good, the ethical and environmental concerns associated with consuming it are not worth the cost. This is where substitutes come in. You can still make chicken noodle soup, cheeseburgers and basically any non-veg-friendly food by finding the right substitutes. Some of my favorites are Beyond Meat, a plant-based burger that tastes just like the real thing and is carried in countless groceries and fast food chains nationally (I’m looking at you, Burger King), and Gardein, a brand that makes numerous substitutes that can match your every craving including fish, beef, turkey and etc.

My experience living in Gainesville as a college student has exposed me to so many unique experiences and restaurants. It’s taught me how to cook for myself, seek out options I haven’t tried and confidently approach store clerks to ask about vegetarian options offered and their health benefits. Every day I learn more and cannot wait to see the options and experiences my years left in Gainesville bring me.

Shay is a second year advertising major, leadership minor. She likes traveling, eating vegetarian food, and petting her dog, Ziggy. She hopes to pursue a career in account management after graduating.