Fitness with Finesse: 5 New Workouts To Start The Year Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the start of Fall semester comes the start of stress eating, snack-fueled all-nighters and tailgates filled with beer and hamburgers. While tailgating is fun and all-nighters aren’t possible without a midnight snack, those things come with a downside: the unavoidable extra pounds. This school year, start your semester off strong with a few new exercises to ward off the weight the semester may bring.

1. Abs: Reverse crunchesWe all know the basic ab crunch, but it’s time to mix it up by adding the reverse crunch into your workout routine. This exercise works out your lower abs, the muscle group you need to work out to get rid of the belly pooch! To do the reverse crunch, start in the same position as a regular crunch — on your back with knees bent and hands by your side. Bring your feet off the ground so your thighs are perpendicular to the ground. Pull your knees to your chin, tightening your abs to do to. Bring your thighs back to perpendicular, and repeat this motion 20 times. Feel the burn!

2. Arms: Pilates punchesThis exercise is easy, simple and effective. Pilates punches (or boxing) is an exercise you can do almost anywhere and it’s a quick workout. Start with your hands in fists and close to your chest, then punch your right hand out, bring it back to your chest, then repeat with the left; that’s one rep. Do this anywhere between 20 to 100 reps, depending on your fitness level. This workout will get your heart rate up and some much needed cardio in your arms.

3. Butt: Toe tapsYou may think you’ve heard of every workout for your butt… but here’s another one! Toe taps will reach your lower butt to shape it right where you need it. Lie on your back with your feet in the air, your knees at a 90-degree angle and thighs perpendicular to the ground. Then slowly tap your right foot to the ground, keeping your thigh as perpendicular as possible and keeping your left foot in the air. Bring the foot back to the original position, then repeat on the left leg. Do about 30 reps.

4. Thighs: Side splitsIf you want your thighs to look great in your favorite pair of skinny jeans, get ready for some side splits. Start by standing with your feet shoulder width apart and put a paper plate or towel under one foot (to made it slide easily). Slide the foot with the plate out to a comfortable split, then pull it back in using your inner thigh muscle. Do 20 reps on each leg for some ripped thigh muscles.

5. Calves: Sitting calf raisesWorking out your calves is hard to vary, but a sitting calf raise mixes it up enough that you’ll work out all the muscles in your calf. The exercise is simple — just sit in a chair and put whatever amount of weight you’re comfortable with on your knees. Do reps until your calves are feeling the heat.

Use these exercises to get a leg up on the extra pounds that the Fall semester is sure to bring. They’re also a way to look great at gamedays and during nights out on the town. Remember to always stay hydrated and stretch before and after your workout. Don’t forget to be consistent with your workouts and you’ll be sure to see results in time for all the fall festivities on campus.

Photo credits:www.sunleafmedical.com

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!