Essential Oils 101: A Beginner’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I once believed that essential oils were used in diffusers as glorified air fresheners, but after research and daily use, I’ve come to find out that they are so much more. I’ve always been interested in natural remedies to help common ailments and essential oils have helped in that process. I use them when I have headaches, when I can’t sleep, even when I need energy to get through the day. Here’s a basic guide to using essential oils.

What exactly are they?

Essential oils are extracted directly from the bark, flower, fruit, leaf, seed or root of a plant or tree – which means they contain tons of health benefits! Because essential oils are highly concentrated, it takes a large amount of plant to produce just one oil, so a little bit goes a long way.

How do you use them?

There’s a few ways you can use them including:

Aromatically: Gain the benefits through the scent. Rub a couple drops in your palms and breathe in the scent, or use a diffuser to fill your room with the oil.

Topically: Many oils work their magic when you rub them on strategic places on your body and pressure points and wear it on your wrists like perfume.

Internally: You can actually add the oil into your diet. Before doing so, it’s important to make sure that the oil being used is 100 percent pure and edible with no additives. You can add them to your drinking water, cook with them or use them to make gelatin capsules.

What are the benefits?

Every oil is different, but a few of my favorites have the following benefits:

The simple, floral scented lavender oil is great for reducing stress and cleansing cuts. I personally love using it to reduce puffiness and discoloration under my eyes.

Tea tree oil has been a staple of mine since the beginning. I use a few drops in my conditioner to create a tingling hair mask and whenever I break out it reduces the size of my spots overnight.

A mix of both cinnamon and spearmint oils are my go-to diffuser scent whenever I need to stop procrastinating and get to work. They work as a stimulant too and are known to boost the activity of the brain.

Peppermint and eucalyptus are perfect if you’re one to get sick easily. They work great alone and together as anti-inflammatories.  Besides helping relieve a sore throat, stuffy nose, congestion and sinus infections, the smell will remind you of the holidays.

Have you ever used essential oils? Do you have a favorite oil? Comment below!