Dorm Diaries: I Tried 3 Dorm-Approved Pinterest Recipes, & Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As a self-proclaimed Pinterest addict and college student, I scour the aesthetic app daily for tips on how to make college life simpler. From organizational tips to resume-building advice, Pinterest offers a plethora of life hacks that may or may not work. As a dorm resident, I recently started scouring the app for quick and easy recipes to make in my dorm. I had two major criteria for the recipes I pinned: 1.) They had to require nothing more than a microwave, and 2.) They had to take less than 10 minutes to make. After countless hours of pinning, I decided on three dorm-approved recipes I wanted to try.

Even if you have a meal plan, having a few staple “running late” recipes will help when you have to sprint to your next class or don’t want to walk all the way over to the dining hall. With a quick trip to the grocery store, you can be ready to start cooking (or microwaving I should say!). For your convenience, I have a compiled a review of three Pinterest recipes that you can make in your dorm room. Follow along to discover what might become your favorite new recipe or your new reason to stick to the dining hall.

1. Instant Mac & Cheese

Inspiration: “Instant Mac & Cheese in a Mug”

Review: Let me just preface by saying that I love mac n’ cheese, so I may have had some high expectations when it came to this recipe. Although I was skeptical of how this recipe would compare to the beloved boxed Kraft competitor, I was surprised by how it turned out. If mediocre was a taste, this bland pasta with a thin coat of cheese would be the star example. It was the cooking process though that knocked this recipe down a few stars. From the water overflowing in the microwave to the noodles taking more than eight minutes to cook, I was quite annoyed by the time I had to add the cheese. While the taste did not exceed my expectations, the recipe was flavorful enough for me to make again if I were in a true rush.

Convenience Rating: 8 out of 10

Taste Rating: 6 out of 10

2. Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (With No Chicken)

Inspiration: Microwave Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Review: Out of all the recipes I tried, this one takes the cake. While I am not vegetarian, I omitted the chicken as it is much easier to store canned foods in dorm rooms. Additionally, I mixed in chickpeas to add more protein. This recipe only took me about ten minutes to make and is the closest to a homemade meal that you can make in a microwave. As I baked the sweet potato, I mixed all of the stuffing ingredients together, which saved a lot of time. You may have to microwave the sweet potato a little longer than suggested depending on your microwave, but it shouldn’t take longer than ten minutes. What I love about this recipe is how quick it is to make and how healthy the ingredients are. As busy college students, it is so important to fuel our bodies with nutritious foods and this recipe is perfect for eating healthy in a rush!

Convenience Rating: 9 out of 10

Taste Rating: 10 out of 10

3. Breakfast Yogurt Bowl

Inspiration: Protein-Packed Yogurt Bowl

Review: When I saw this recipe, I pinned it immediately. Just throw a few ingredients together and you have the perfect breakfast or snack? I was sold. To create your own yogurt bowl, all you need is some Greek yogurt, fruit and your favorite toppings! I chose strawberry Greek yogurt and topped it with banana slices, peanut butter and granola. This recipe is customizable to whatever you have lying around your dorm, so you don’t have to buy a million ingredients. All together my bowl tasted amazing and provided me with a protein and carb kick to boost my energy and increase my productivity for the day. If you need to make a quick meal in less than five minutes, this one’s for you.

Convenience Rating: 10 out of 10

Taste Rating: 10 out of 10

And the overall winner is…

The Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! If you try any of these three meals, this one is definitely worth the time to make. It’s nutritious, quick and easy: the perfect trio for us college gals on the run!

Summerlyn is a freshman at the University of Florida studying advertising. She is an aspiring social media manager who shares a passion for all things theatre, fashion, and health. When she’s not writing for Her Campus UFL, you can find her watching Mad Men, belting Broadway hits, and cooking up some fire dorm room eats. Follow her on Instagram @summerlynmurray.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.