etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

College Probz: It’s Okay To Not Be Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I’m fine…

“I’m fine” is a blanket statement covering your inner demons that challenge you on a day-to-day basis. Are you familiar with this line? Almost too familiar? Well, you’re not alone. Almost everyone has had an occurrence with an “I’m fine” conversation. The question is, why do we feel that it is necessary to keep our flaws within ourselves private? It is almost as if everyone wants to be depicted as a modern day “martyr.” Don’t get me wrong, I get the “I am woman, hear me roar” aspect that everyone is aiming for. I myself try to aim for that as well, but is the stress worth it? The truth is when you say you’re fine, you really aren’t fine, and I’m here to remind you that it is more than okay to not to be okay.

If you keep having to convince yourself or others that you’re okay when you really aren’t, you will eventually hit a breaking point and let out an overwhelming spew of emotions that you can’t even begin to deal with. Here are some tips on how to relieve some of those “not okay” feelings.

1). Learn to trust people

The first step in letting go of your true feelings is actually telling a friend, family member or even a co-worker that you’re not okay. When you finally let go of that “perfect person” stigma that you’re trying to achieve talking to people will become much easier. You’ll feel that negative weight lift off your shoulders right after you open yourself up to trusting others.

2). Stop saying “I’m fine”

I know this is a hard one because saying “I’m fine” usually becomes a crutch for when you want to avoid addressing your true feelings (I’m guilty of this as well). Let this word go, and be free from the negative vibes crushing your spirit.

3). Pat yourself on the back

In honor of Suite Life of Zack and Cody’s London Tipton, give yourself some self-praise! You deserve it 100%. Most people go throughout life sulking in their misery and just pushing down inside of them, deeper and deeper until they drown in negativity. Unlike them, you have addressed what was bothering you and are now practicing a mentally health conscious lifestyle.

It is important to remember that you’re not alone. We are only human, not perfect. Stay positive, collegiates!

Photo Credit: giphy.com

Medium.com