etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Keys to Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’re in for the long haul. With no days off from school until Spring Break, and colder, darker weather, it feels like vacation is eons away. Worse still, with the pressure of school, classes, and extracurricular activities increasing in intensity after the lull of winter break and syllabus week, how could the stress not get to you? The solution lies in the little things you can do throughout the day to help you get out of your lowest of lows. When you feel your worst, try out these simple tricks to get you out of the dreaded winter blues and on the path to positive vibes:

1. Exercise. Elle Woods said it best. Whether it’s a short burst of high-intensity cardio or a longer group fitness class,  any exercise releases endorphins. These are the “feel good” hormones that can result in a quick boost of mood and attitude along with the other benefits of exercise that are too numerous to count. Next time you’re feeling down, head to the gym for a rush of energy and confidence to get you through the day.

2. Talk to a close friend, or better yet, see one in person. If you find yourself feeling isolated because of work and stress, set aside a time to meet a friend for a meal or study break for a chance to laugh and catch up. It seems intuitive now, but many people feel like they have to face their problems alone. A friendly face outside of your regular schedule is a nice change of pace, and it can give you something to look forward to.

3. Write the three best parts of the day before going to sleep each night. What are most of us thinking of when heading to bed? Most likely, all of the things you need to do the next day or the unfinished business of today. Instead, write down your accomplishments from the day, which could be something as simple as having a nice meal or as large as finishing a major project for school. Repeat this every night, and you’ll definitely notice a much more optimistic outlook as you train your brain to focus on your accomplishments.

4. Unplug from social media. This is a rough one for most of us. But it’s practically common knowledge that social media is making us more unhappy. Social media constantly bombards us with images of our friends and frenemies to compare ourselves to. A weeklong hiatus from Instagram, Facebook, Vine, Twitter, and Tumblr can do a soul some good or, at the very least, reveal how truly Internet-dependent we have become. If a long-term cutoff isn’t feasible, try to designate a few hours as social-media-free so you can take a break from the distractions during meals or when you’re out with friends.

5. Listen to music that makes you feel energized. That means out with the “Say Something” and in with the “Yoncé.” Anything upbeat that makes you want to dance works great and can help you get into a confident, determined mindset. The worst thing you can do is wallow in your stress and anxiety with equally depressing music! Make a playlist full of your favorite upbeat songs, or use apps like Spotify that have pre-programmed, never-ending playlists according to your mood.

6. Treat Yo Self. Reward yourself after finishing large projects and other stressful work with ice cream, a cupcake, frozen yogurt, or a night out on the town. The extra motivation will give you something to look forward to, and a break is a totally necessary, healthy way to recover after a hectic week. Scheduling breaks after sizable chunks of work also makes a massively overwhelming project seem more achievable. 

7. Think in the long term. If you find yourself getting hung up on the stresses in your life or are majorly panicking before an exam or presentation – just pause. Check out websites that illustrate concepts like the scale of the universe or that put time into perspective, then think about your problem again. It doesn’t seem as significant anymore, does it? Know that what happens today doesn’t define everything about you. In terms of time, a minor mistake you may have made today doesn’t have as much of a long-term implication as you thought.

Next time you’re dealing with a stressful or anxiety-filled week, any of these tips should be enough to get you out of your slump. Remember to relax, breathe, and take it one step at a time. You’ve got this, collegiettes™!

Antara Sinha is a sophomore journalism/pre-med major at the University of Florida. She is a contributing writer for USA Today College, and this is her third semester as a writer for Her Campus UFL. Her interests include health, science and lifestyle writing, and she plans on pursing medical and science journalism.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.