Wellness > Health

7 Free Health Services On Campus That You Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I hate walking to class, especially when there are people tabling in Turlington or the Plaza of the Americas. By now, I’ve perfected the awkward “pretending-you-don’t-exist-so-I-don’t-get-handed-a-flier” look. However, I see the other side as a member of the Student Health Outreach Team. It showed me the difficulty of getting people to listen. You need to have one heck of a catchphrase to make someone stop and acknowledge you as a person. My favorite approach is shouting random services that the Student Healthcare Center provides. It boggles me how many times someone will stop, backtrack a couple of steps and interrogate me about them, especially considering the health fee from tuition and fees covers several services. To minimize the backtracks I get, I’ve compiled a list of the most popular health services on campus available to UF students:

$15 STI Screening with the GYT Clinic

You can be screened for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis and HIV for $15 at the GYT Clinic located at the Student Healthcare Center on campus if you’re not showing symptoms. The center recommends that you get tested when you have a new partner, have unprotected sex or are concerned you may have been exposed to an STI. To check appointment availability, call 352-294-7582 or click here for more information. You will receive results in about two weeks, and the $15 charge will be posted to your UF account. If you are already showing symptoms, you cannot be seen by the GYT Clinic and must make an appointment with your assigned medical provider.

Free Condoms, Menstrual Products, Gatorade, First Aid Kits and Brochures at the Dispensing Hub

I forget to pack tampons all the time, so this one really comes in handy. If you’re ever running low on supplies or need a quick drink, stop by the free dispensing hub located right inside the Student Healthcare Center. As soon as you walk into the door, head to the left where you can access the goodies.

$10 Plan B Pill and Prescription Drop Box at the Center’s Pharmacy

This factoid tends to be the one that gets the most attention. A little unknown fact about UF’s health services is that the center has a full-service pharmacy located right on campus. You can get your prescriptions filled and pick them up on your way to class. You can also use the prescription drop box to dispose of old prescriptions. The pharmacy also offers competitive pricing on essentials such as shampoo, skincare products, first aid supplies, pain relievers, vet supplies and much more. They even offer Plan B pills for $10 (FYI: Plan B ranges up to $50). Click here for more information on the Student Healthcare Center Pharmacy.

Access to LGBTQ+ Health Services

People who work at the healthcare center are trained as caring, inclusive providers to the LGBTQ+ community. Transgender students can access hormonal therapy on campus. For more information regarding work hours, scheduling and LGBTQ+ health resources, click here.

Need help deciding between a Big Mac and a salad? Ask Nutrition Services!

The center has a registered dietician located on the first floor to assist you with issues like weight gain/loss, making a food plan, changing your food lifestyle, eating disorders and more . UF tuition’s health fee should cover most office visits, but if you have any questions call 352-392-1161 or click here for more general information.

Ladies, need some help “down there?” Visit the Women’s Health Clinic.

The Women’s Health Clinic located in the Student Healthcare Center provides counseling on birth control options, STI prevention, sexuality, pap smears, routine pelvic exams and pregnancy testing. It helps with other female health-focused topics, too. They also offer a great amount of health information that can come in handy on their website, so make sure to take a look.

Want to get a FREE flu shot and beat FSU, UCF and USF?

Don’t you hate when flu season comes around? The cacophony of sniffles and lack of tissues in every bathroom is enough to drive anyone crazy. Well, I’ve got some good news for you. On Oct. 2, students, faculty and staff can receive a flu shot at no cost if they present a valid Gator 1 ID and an insurance card. It’s on the front lawn of the Student Healthcare Center at 280 Fletcher Drive from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. This event, “4 U’s Fight the Flu,” is an intercollegiate flu shot competition between UCF, USF, FSU and UF to see which university can vaccinate the most students. It’s the second year this event has been hosted, with last year’s competition being between UF and FSU. With the competition getting fierce amongst universities, the center needs your help to win and “chomp” the flu. Students can also get pizza, a free T-shirt and much more. In addition, the Meningitis B vaccine will also be provided through the Alachua County Health Department.

For those of you who don’t know, the flu vaccine is your best defense against catching the seasonal flu. The influenza shot can keep you from getting the flu, spreading it to others or make the symptoms less severe. The Center for Diseases Control recommends anyone over the age of six months get vaccinated every year (yes, every year). If you miss the event, you can make an appointment with the center, walk in or attend another flu outreach event. More information on the flu and events at UF can be found here.

If you want to learn more about the Student Healthcare Center or access a comprehensive list of the services it provides, click here. It can be hard to keep up with your health when you’re in several places at once, so hopefully knowing about these resources located on campus will make it a bit easier. In the wise words of Donna from Parks and Recreation, “Treat yo’ self.”

Casey is a third-year biology major at the University of Florida and a Features Writer for Her Campus UFL. If she is not freaking out about school, then you can find her going to the beach, watching Ghost Whisperer with her BFF, or trying to find a new pin for her backpack.