5 Ways to Practice Self-Love on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Self-love is often thought of as only ‘treat yo self’ moments. You’ve spent the week balancing class lectures and your internship that when the weekend comes the only thing that comes to mind is letting loose, spending too much at the bar and going out to dinner. Unfortunately, it starts to add up. But you should never go without treating yourself. Trust me, you deserve it! Self-love is a good thing and looks different for every person. Sadly, we are taught that if we’re not constantly working hard or taking care of others, we’re being selfish.

When it comes down to it, self-care isn’t something that should be giving you more stress or putting you into a financial crunch. So, here are some practical ideas to incorporate into your routine, so that no matter how hectic your schedule gets, you always show yourself a little bit of self-love.

1. Cook Yourself a Meal

Pull out the pots and pans and get to work. During the week you’re most likely surviving off of peanut butter sandwiches and canned soup, this is your time to put your Chopped skills to the test. Though going out is fun and delicious with the added perk of not having to do dishes, it’s expensive. Cooking your own meal can be relaxing. Put your favorite playlist on and whip up your favorite dish, not only will it be satisfying that you carved away some time to cook, but you also won’t have to leave a tip.

2. Get Your Space Organized

Cleaning is probably the last thing on your mind after an exhausting week, but organizing your living space can mean less stress in your life. You’ll be able to find those lecture notes and textbooks much easier as they’ll no longer be buried under that infamous chair that houses those kinda clean clothes. Throw away junk, donate things to charity, rearrange your furniture – it’s the little things. Plus you’ll be able to find your car keys.

3. Go for a Walk

Exercising is great. You gain endorphins and stay fit, but sometimes you don’t want to overdo it in the gym, a simple walk around campus or neighborhood will do the job. It’s also probably one of the cheapest and healthiest options to practice self-love. Get away from the indoor environment and enjoy the beauty of nature.

4. Journal

Writing down your thoughts, ideas and goals is one of the easiest ways to collect your thoughts. Let the words escape you! They don’t have to be perfect or even really make sense, just get everything that’s running through your mind to paper. Upset that you didn’t do well on an exam or had a fallout with a good friend? Write it all down and reflect. You’ll not only begin to feel better but it may lead you to some solutions. And if you’re feeling fancy and creative, try bullet-journaling.

5. DIY Face Mask

Although there are some great face masks on the market, there’s nothing like putting one together yourself. Easy and cheap recipes are all over the internet and are sure to be soothing while getting rid of that pesky pimple that just won’t seem to go away. The best part is, you won’t have to go further than your kitchen! Put a couple of cucumbers on your eyes, put on some meditation music and lay down in your bed. Queue complete spa feeling.

What are your favorite ways to de-stress and take care of yourself? Let us know in the comments below!