Style > Beauty

5 Beauty Hacks That Will Transform Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Are you noticing your skin isn’t as good as you’d like to be? Are you a college student that doesn’t have the time – nor the budget – for an expensive skincare regimen? We’ve all been there. Skincare is such an important routine to stay on top of, but if you have a busy work schedule it can be difficult to make skincare your top priority. Here are some tips and tricks that will save your skin!

Double cleansing is the new trend

If you’ve ever treated yourself to a facial, then you’ve probably been told by the esthetician that the most important skincare step is washing your face, which is true. Washing away the makeup, sweat and oil is crucial for clean skin. Not to mention, washing your face is such an important step for maintaining clear skin. The new trend that a lot of women have been trying is the act of double cleansing, and it’s super simple yet remarkably effective. First, wash your skin once, which will take off majority of your makeup and any oil that may have accumulated throughout the day. A second cleanse will penetrate deep into the skin and truly cleanse and rid the skin of any acne-causing bacteria. So, next time you wash your face, try double cleansing!

Switch out your shampoo

Yes, hair products do affect your skin and may be the cause to any acne you are experiencing. Many hair products have sulfates in them, which are really harsh and abrasive chemicals that damage your hair and skin. Sulfates are known to cause extreme dryness and split ends to hair, so just imagine what they do when they makes any contact with your skin. Also, make sure you are showering with the correct water temperature. As tempting as it might be to take a relaxing and steaming hot shower, hot water can really damage your skin. Try to shower with warm rather than hot water. If you’re experiencing any acne on your forehead or cheeks, then definitely check if you are using a shampoo with sulfates. Don’t know what shampoo to switch to? Try any shampoo that is hydrating and contains only natural ingredients and oils. This tip will make your hair and skin be in better condition.

Your skin is affected by your diet

Yes, you’ve heard the famous cliché that “you are what you eat.” While thinking about skincare, it’s important to remember to fuel your body with healthy foods. You can get a lot of hydration through the foods you choose to eat. There are many foods that are really nutrient dense and great for your skin: carrots, sweet potatoes, leafy greens, avocados and even red wine! So don’t be afraid to relax and unwind because your skin just might thank you. Make sure to balance these meals with an adequate amount of water to help keep your skin glowing and hydrated. Need a simple way to get your greens in? Make a green smoothie for breakfast or even a pre-workout snack. All you need is spinach, fruit, water, ice and anything else you’d like to add. Making a smoothie is a quick way to pack nutrients into your diet and still be able to multitask throughout your day. Drink up!

Sleep is actually a skin lifesaver

Stress is one of the most common causes of acne even for adults, so make sure you are managing your stress. The best and most effective way to help fight acne is by getting enough sleep. To encourage healthy skin, try mixing up your sleeping routine. First things first, make sure your sleeping environment is the best it can be. When you are sleeping, you want to make sure your body temperature regulates well. Turn down your AC and you’ll notice that you sleep much better throughout the night. Another tip is to sleep with a silk pillowcase. Silk pillowcases are less likely to absorb any oil on your face and they are known to help fight against acne. Invest in your sleeping habits! Your skin will be happy you did.

Sunscreen doesn’t just fight against skin cancer

If you live in a particularly hot climate, you’ve probably experienced a bad sunburn or two. You also know how crucial sunscreen is in protecting your skin. Sunscreen is a product you need to start implementing into your daily skincare routine. Before applying makeup, make sure you apply a layer of sunscreen to your face as well as your neck and chest. This will help prevent sun spots, wrinkling and fine lines. Yes, even if it’s not sunny out or if it’s fairly cold weather, you still need to apply sunscreen. UV rays from the sun are always present and your skin needs sunscreen to help protect itself from those rays! Apply, apply, apply!

If your skin isn’t looking how you want it to, try implementing these tips and get glowing!

Former Feature Writer. UF English Literature Alum.