neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

10 Ways to Get Over a Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There is nothing worse than having a really, really bad day. We all have those days where nothing seems to be going right — you’re crying the entire day and just feel emotionally drained. This type of day is never fun. We’ve all been there. Everyone, especially in college, experiences those super tough days. As Johnny Depp once said, “It’s just a bad day, not a bad life.” These are some simple ways to help you get over this horrible day you’re having. Always remember that tomorrow will bring new beginnings. You are strong! Here’s to better days ahead.

Remember that one bad day is only 24 hours

Sometimes the only thing that will help you get through a really bad day is knowing that it will only last 24 hours. That’s 1,440 minutes you have to get through. If you can try your best to make it through the day, then tomorrow promises so much more than today. Say you’ve had a really crappy day, then look forward to something in the future. Do you have that special pilates class you love going to each week? Maybe you have a facial appointment that you forgot you booked. By focusing on one small thing that’s going to happen in the future, it might help you forget your current troubles.

Get cozy ASAP

The second you start feeling down, whether that’s physically or emotionally, get cozy when you get home for the day. Change out of your tight and uncomfortable jeans and into those fuzzy socks you love. Wear something comfortable and breathable. If that means your favorite sweats with a million holes in them, then so be it. By changing into clothing items that make you feel good on the outside, this will slowly help you to start feeling better on the inside.

Get your mind off of your problems

The best and most foolproof way to get your mind off of your worries is to focus on other things. A really bad day gives you the excuse to watch all the Netflix you’ve been dreaming of. Let the binging begin! Do anything that distracts you. Watch a ton of romantic comedies, bake your favorite guilty pleasure dessert, read the sequel of the book you’ve been loving. These simple things are not wasting time, but rather helping pass this bad day until you’re able to say good riddance to it.

Make a list

If you’re anything like me, you are an obsessively organized person and you like your life to be organized, too. Bad days tend to throw everything off balance. If you’re feeling overwhelmed with stress, write a list. Write down the things that are stressing you. Write a to-do list of things you want to get done either that day or the next day. By de-cluttering what’s going on in your mind, you’ll feel less stressed and more in control.

Get productive (or at least try to)

With list-making comes being productive. Being productive is a simple yet effective method of eliminating stressors during a particularly bad day. When you’re having a really bad day, it can be extremely difficult (nearly impossible) to be productive, but working hard will help! Do your homework or do something small such as making your bed. Just one task will help you feel better — trust me.

Make a therapy appointment

If your day is stemming from a deeply concerning stressor, then don’t be afraid to reach out for professional help. Therapists are there to listen to you. There’s no shame in talking to a therapist. By talking to someone, you are able to vent your problems and frustrations. Even if this means traveling home to see your hometown therapist, whom you might have a strong bond with, do that. Talking helps.

Treat yourself

Some bad days just call for indulging. Treat yourself to anything you might be wanting. Chocolate is a girl’s best friend. Go eat that candy bar or buy your favorite milkshake. Maybe you need some retail therapy! Online shopping is such a fun thing to do; your wallet might not be happy about it, but you can be. You deserve to treat yourself. You’ve had a bad day and you deserve the things you want.

Call a loved one

If you’re a college student, you know just how difficult it is to keep in touch with your family. For example, like those times when you have 14 missed calls from your mom. When you’re having a rough day, this means you should talk to the people you miss. Call up your mom, dad, aunt or literally anyone else you want to talk to. When you hear the voice of a loved one and talk for a while, this will help you start to feel better and move on from your bad day. Your family misses you more than you know, so this will be a mutually beneficial thing.

Journal

Journal, journal, journal! Writing is so therapeutic. If you have had possibly the worst Monday ever, then write down everything you experienced that day. Write down what’s bothering you and write it in detail. By physically writing out your frustrations, it’s releasing them onto paper rather than keeping them bottled up inside of your head. So, grab that pen and your favorite notebook and get writing.

Know that everything is going to be okay

Sometimes going through a really bad day is just a reminder of how bad things get; however, you are not alone. Everyone, literally every single person on Earth, has had their fair share of horrible days. The beautiful thing is that not every day will be this way. So know that tomorrow will be better and make sure to be kind to others. You never know who else might be going through a rough patch. By being kind and compassionate to those around you, then you can lift their spirits up. Be kind to yourself. Today was bad but that doesn’t mean tomorrow has to be.

Take a breath. Know that these feelings will pass and that a bad day is just a bad day. It’s nothing more. Don’t be too hard on yourself and make sure that you take time to reflect on the possible cause of this bad day. Life isn’t this simple thing, it’s complex and it likes to throw curveballs. There’s nothing that you can’t handle. You are going to be okay.

Former Feature Writer. UF English Literature Alum.