body images 2019 03 26 hello i m nik 698722 unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 03 26 hello i m nik 698722 unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Dear Students of 2020…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

The 2020 school year has officially started for many of us, and to start this HC year off, I’d like to say “hi. How are you all? Are you okay?”

If your answer to that is “eh,” “could be better,” or you pulling the doritos out of your bedside table in your sweat pants and three day old hair, trust me. I feel you.

I’m sure that we can all unanimously agree that this entire year has been the nightmare of a lifetime. Not just for us individually but for the world. On a global scale, lives have been totally uprooted and turned upside-down. The fact that a global pandemic, uproars of against systemic racism, and an election have completely shaken our year is completely unfathomable. To be honest, if you have been internally freaking out the past few months from grief, anxiety, stress, depression, or anything in relation to what has been going on, you are not alone. This year has been a hell of a year to process considering what has transpired over the course of a few months.

And now we’re in a new remote school year. And no matter if you’re a sophomore in high-school, a first year college student, or in sixth year of college, this year is going to be even more of a challenge than in previous years. It is an entirely new experience we are all facing this school year. As someone who is currently facing it with you, I just want to acknowledge that yes, this all sucks. We are all upset that we are missing golden opportunities to enjoy our academic experiences and social experiences in person. We are frustrated that with online classes, interacting virtually can be challenging as a student and as a teacher being deprived of the true learning experiences of in person education. We are scared that this might not be the only year that we have to go through our academic careers or our regular lives in quarantine with the fear of a virus or systemic racism or xenophobia. This year has not been easy. There is no sugar coating any of it.

But what I hope that you take away from this year is that although we are being challenged in a way we could not have expected, this is our chance to test our adaptability and find ways to improve ourselves through our determination to get over the obstacles that continue to pummel us every day. Online classes may be difficult, but hopefully you have found a system that keeps you organized and focused on your educational goals. Quarantine may suck, but I hope that you are being considerate taking safety precautions to save yourself and the health of those around you. Systemic racism continues to be a louder issue in a sea of issues that are being neglected in this country, but I hope that this has motivated you to become more informed on the issues at hand. Especially as we are getting closer and closer to election day. 

A lot of us are struggling, but while I cannot guarantee a smooth next school year, I hope that you at least feel somewhat reassured that you are not going through this experience alone and that you are willing to ask for help when you need it. No matter what its for. Although all of us are isolated, we are still connected and no matter what we might being going through we are going through it together. So from another struggling college student to you, I wish you the best of luck and hope that all of us can end this year off on a more positive note. 

Stay tuned on HC for more articles from us ladies to you to hopefully brighten your day even for a moment!

Loralyn Narvaez is a California Native who previously attended UWB. Although she currently lives back in California, she served as Head Writer for the chapter publishing articles and writing her own. She recently graduated from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor's Degree in Communications and a Business minor and was Campus Correspondent for HC UCSD. She is currently attending CSU Fullerton pursuing her Master's Degree in Communications. Her interests include cosmetics, fashion, food, literature, linguistics, and Asian culture.